Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

MetaMod vs. GeoIP vs. Meta Keywords vs. Banners

MetaMod vs. GeoIP vs. Meta Keywords vs. Banners

Hi,
I am looking for advice and I start with example.

I want to show banners for 100 clients from various countries and cities. Each client has different requirements where to show his banners, some of them on city level, some region and others on country level. Akaik now I have to:
- Setup Banner Component
- Put Banner Component in Category
- Create Banner Module for each Category (and define count of banners in each module for each level, for example 2 city level,2region level, 5country level and 1 continent level banners)
- Create metamod module with looong PHP script which will say something like:
if the city is Paris show the module which shows 2 banners for Paris,other module which show 2banners for Paris region, other module for 5 France banners and 1 European banners module.
....lot of work

OR:
Maybe there is another way:
Enable the option Search by Tag in banner module (tag means meta keyword here???)
Make some fake content with fake keywords which would be GeoIP codes
And for each banner add required tag, like "US" or "Paris" and problem solved.

What do you think? Is that possible?
Thank you for advice

R.

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: MetaMod vs. GeoIP vs. Meta Keywords vs. Banners

Can I just check with you, are you using J1.5 or J1.7/2.5? The banner systems are a little different in each case.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

I am sorry...

Joomla 2.5
just downloaded the newest MM

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Hi,

I'm still trying to get my head around your situation though. I don't think I have it clear yet.

From the client point of view:
- you have multiple clients
- each client has multiple banners, which may need to go into different cities/regions etc, or different numbers of banners.

From the viewer's point of view:
- depending on my city, I'll see something like you describe above: if the city is Paris show the module which shows 2 banners for Paris,other module which show 2 banners for Paris region, other module for 5 France banners and 1 European banners module.

So my question at the moment is, how does the selection of banners presented to a viewer relate to the clients? That's not clear to me.

- a banner module can select a particular client, and particular categories (each category can contain banners from more than one client - so  can a module that "belongs" to one client display a banner belonging to another client, because it was in a category that the module selects from?)

Could this be a starting point:
- create categories for each geographical location, e.g. Paris, Paris Region, France, European
- create a module that's not tied to a specific client (if it allows you to do this), for each grouping that you are going to need. e.g. one that shows 3 modules from Paris, one that shows 2 from the Paris region, one that shows 5 from France, one that shows 1 European. It knows where to get these from because each location has a category.
- then the MetaMod just needs to map a location to a set of modules: e.g. "if user is in Paris, show a 3xParis module, a 2xParisRegion module, a 5xFrance module, and a 1xEuropean module".

In fact, you could build this mapping into an array structure to help with the data organisation:

eg. something like this:

$mappings = array(
"Paris"=>array("Paris"=>3, "ParisRegion"=>2, "France"=>5, "Europe"=>1),
"Cannes"=>array("Cannes"=>3, "CannesRegion"=>2,"France"=>5, "Europe"=>2)
);

The rest of the MetaMod script could pick up the array keys and use them to determine which module to use, and the digit (number of banners) can be sent to the module by MetaMod to change the parameter used to hold the number of items to show.

A bit of a problem I can see here is that a banner for "Paris" may also be a banner for "France", so in a way you want it to be in both categories. Am I right? If so, that's complicated and I don't know what to advise.

Perhaps... since MetaMod can force new parameters into the module that it displays, you can make a hierarchy that says "Europe contains everything in France plus everything in Belgium (etc); France contains everything in the Paris region plus all the other regions; Paris region contains everything in Paris plus other districts around Paris; Paris is the bottom-level category".

So, when MetaMod detects that it has to display a module of banners from France, it can calculate all the category numbers from France downwards, and insert them into the module for France banners.

I think this is possible, but fiendishly complex to set up. Once set up it would not be hard to maintain - all you would need to do would be to insert any new banners into the appropriate lowest-level category, which would be city/district level. So that would be quite good.

I don't know if you followed all of that... what do you think?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Well, first of all, I don't care, if the Paris user sees 10 Paris banners only or 10 European banners only... the important thing is that he does not see Cannes banner. This 2/2/5/1 counts of banners were only because I wanted to ensure that all "levels" of banners are included. And yes, via categories, would it work.

However, the alternative idea I was hoping for was use the tag for it. I saw three steps of it:
1) instead of putting Paris banner to category Paris, I just add a keyword "Paris" to that banner
2) enable search by tag in a banner module
3) MetaMod would somehow put four keywords to the content of a webpage, which would be the GeoIP codes.
Then the search by tag functionality would take care of it and banners for Paris, Region, France, Europe will appear in one module.

However, besides the fact, that I don't know how to solve step three, there is no tag field in J2.5 and search by tag throws and error like this:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2475735

So, I think I'll go for the category version...

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Do you think, that if I put some effort info figuring out how to make this tag thing work, do you think then it would be possible to make the Geotargeted banners display based on tags comparing to GeoIP codes?
Or should I forget is and focus on the category way to solve it?

(hopefully I explained enough what I mean by this tag-matching approach.)
R.

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Hey I reported the SQL error as a Joomla bug. I am not 100% sure that if it gets fixed that it would allow tag matching without specifying a client.

See http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla … m_id=28221

That's basically the bug - it occurs if you try to do tag matching without specifying a client.

I think the ideal thing would be if the bug was fixed, and also that the module could allow the keywords it's going to match to be a field in the module.

The latter point would allow MetaMod to dynamically insert the keywords to be matched into the banners module, rather than the banner trying to take them from the metakeywords.

That way, MetaMod could approach it like this:

- detect city, region, country
- include 1 banner module with that city as keyword, by inserting the city name into the banner module as the keyword
- include 1 banner module with the region as keyword
- include 1 banner module with the country as keyword
- include 1 banner module with the continent as keyword

Or, the city, region, country and continent could all be inserted as keywords into 1 banner module which then chooses randomly based on any of those keywords.

Ok, so all this hinges on the banner module being fixed, and the keywords field being added.

I'd be willing to take this on as a paid project, to make a new module based on the old banners one, but with the bug fixed and the new field added. Please PM me for rates etc if you're interested.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

OK, I'will see, if there is any future for my website (it is two weeks old now) and if so, we can talk about the paid project. Meanwhile we'll se if the bug is fixed. My final idea is to have like 10 banners of 200x60 on top of each other in the right sidebar, a mixture of city region etc. based on GeoLite City. Can you estimate the cost? Roughly.

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Hi,

so far I haven't seen any further activity on the bugtracker for that bug. That's a shame, as that's the hardest part of the system to get working as far as making something for you is concerned.

Sending you a PM with an estimate.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

I am new in Joomla, like 2weeks or so, so I know only J2.5.

But is that so, that this "tag" field which is required to this was there in earlier version of Joomla? So fixing the bug would be like look in the old version and copy whats there.
Or I just misunderstood a post somewhere.

So, we'll wait till there will be bugfix in Joomla...

redfordxx
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week: