Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Installing GeoIP and GeoLiteCity with MyPHPAdmin

Installing GeoIP and GeoLiteCity with MyPHPAdmin

Hello,

I am using Joomla 1.7

I recently installed MetaMod v3.6...it seems so powerful, and I can't wait to use it.

However, regarding the text in the module settings for GeoIP, it is unclear how to install it.

I am unclear about the following
"If you want to use the GeoIP Country features, please...[removed]...copy it to jooma_root/geoip/GeoIP.dat in your server file system."

You said "jooma_root". Do you mean "joomla_root"? The L is missing.

Also, do i have to create a folder within the root named "geoip"? How do I do that?

Also, which is the root? In MyPHPAdmin, I have 3 areas,
teamplay
_jm1
_jm2

russthebear
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Installing GeoIP and GeoLiteCity with MyPHPAdmin

Hi Russ,

the "joomla root" (sorry about the typo; will fix this) means the folder in the file system (not the database) that Joomla is installed into. On a typical web server this might be something like /users/yourusername/public_html. In that folder you'll find subfolders such as administrator, cache, components, images, includes, modules, plugins, media, templates and a few others. It's where Joomla lives.

So, alongside those other folders create one called simple "geoip" (no quotes).

To create that folder, you would generally use a file manager inside your hosting control panel (e.g. cPanel), or via FTP, or with something like eXtplorer in Joomla.

Then download the latest GeoIP database from the link given, uncompress it, then upload it into that folder using the same tool that you used to create the folder in the first place.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Re: Installing GeoIP and GeoLiteCity with MyPHPAdmin

oh my god! that is so much easier than the documentation they have for installing this amazing tool

thanks!!!

russthebear
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: