Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Possible to detect US ip add., change the currency & shopper group?

Possible to detect US ip add., change the currency & shopper group?

Hi, love chameleon..

I'm using it at the moment to detect a US ip address, and set the currency to USD which works well.

However, we would also like to show them the prices.. WITHOUT TAX (otherwise it's very expensive, and not all states pay tax etc etc) so thinking about assigning them to a shopper group with a 20% discount.. is it possible to acheive this with chameleon? Can't see anything in the receipes, or through the forum, so thought I would post.

Maybe I'm not thinking ab out it laterally enough and there's a simpler solution, in which case I'm all ears smile

Thanks Stephen - amazing toolkit

fewleh
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Possible to detect US ip add., change the currency & shopper group?

Hi fewleh,

That's a good question... never tried that before. This would require some delving into VM to see if the non-tax price is available in any form.

If it is, then it's easy to control this with Chameleon. What I'd do is this:

1 - in Chameleon, set up a rule with the appropriate conditions. In the SUCCEED action, put:  define("DONT_SHOW_TAX",true);

2 - then in your VM theme (e.g. components/virtuemart/themes/default/templates/common/price.tpl.php), you can use the DONT_SHOW_TAX constant to switch which price is displayed. (providing, as I said, that that info is available from somewhere).

e.g.

if (defined("DONT_SHOW_TAX")) {
// put the display code in here
} else {
// put the old display code in here, for display WITH taxes.
}

Alternatively, you could try the shopper group trick that you suggested, but again I don't know how that would work, or if it's possible to force people into a certain group "on the fly" if that's what you are suggesting.

Ummm... perhaps this is the simple solution: what's stopping you from just modifying the default shopper group and setting it to display prices without tax?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, I contacted you by email last night - I didn't realise you had replied here -

Unfortunately we can't just edit the default group, as we offer prices to the UK as well.

We really need to be able to force people on the fly into a shopper group if they are from the US. Then, I could set separate pricing for them through VM.

If it's something metamod can't do without some customisations, I'm happy to pay for your time.. just please let me know what you think. We need a working solution, so we can properly position ourselves for selling in the US.. a direct price conversion just isn't flexible enough for us.. and gives you a messy looking price 9/10. We desperately need the ability to set two indepedant prices. One for UK shoppers (default group) and one for US shoppers. (bad example - product 1 costs £50 in the UK, but $1 in the US. Hope this makes sense..

Kind regards, Olly

fewleh
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

Ok, I'm going to give this a little time today. I'm looking for a way to change the shopper group on-the-fly. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Stephen

p.s. there's a limit to how much time I can spend on this, sorry, as it's really above and beyond the normal support for the product.

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Ok, think I'm on the right track; contacting you offline.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi,

I'm also very interested in a solution to change the VM shopper group depending on GeoIP. My customer also needs VM discounts depending on the country of the shopper.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Stefan

sscheidegger
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
1 Posts

I was going to develop something like this for Olly as a mini project but he never got back to me...

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

UPDATE:

From Chameleon 2.58 (June 2016) there are facilities to do the following with Chameleon:

1 - change VM shopper group
2 - change VM currency
3 - force VM into "catalog mode" i.e. show prices but not allow the Cart or checkout.
4 - show or hide prices on product pages.

This means these are no longer "global" options but can be turned on and off on a per-page basis.
Chameleon can control any of these options using all its power of detecting different conditions:

- GeoIP (country of origin)
- date ranges or seasons of the year
- time of day or days of the week
- selected currency (e.g. allow the user to select their own currency, then use that to determine their shopper group)
- domain that the user used to view the site
- and anything else Chameleon can detect.

Enjoy the power!

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info: