Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Listing Categories and Articles

Listing Categories and Articles

Hi Stephen -

I realize this is a bit off topic for this forum, but I'm wondering if there is structure in jom_genius that can help or you have insights to appropriate J17 classes. 

On a page that is a category (any style) display can the top level of the current category be accessed by a MMP module's PHP to then loop recursively through sub-categories and articles to create a menu-like nested <ul> list of links to the sub-categories and articles in that category? 

Thoughts?  Direction to head for someone with only moderate PHP-foo?  All suggestions appreciated.
Duke

Edited By: Duke
19-Sep-11 18:19:00

Duke
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
18 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Listing Categories and Articles

Hi Duke,

Yes, it's a little off-topic. You might be better looking for other extensions which can do hierarchical lists of articles, and see how they do it.

I see that in J1.6/1.7 there's a new class called JCategories which may give a good head start rather than trying to load stuff from the database directly. It seems to give programmatic access to all the nodes in a category tree, also via a class JCategoryNode. That's the direction I would be looking in.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Re: Listing Categories and Articles

Closest existing module I found was ArtsCats which has not been updated for a year and is a bit complex (read as harder to update than to rebuild). 

Excellent suggestions, Thank you!

Duke
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
18 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: