Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

mods on all article pages & category blog

mods on all article pages & category blog

dear metamod forum,

i would like to have my article pages look the same as they do when i assign modules to category blog layout, but when you click a title / image link on the front end (from extensions like latest news or youjoomla newsflash 7) the module no longer appears. youjoomla developers tell me that this was a function in 1.0 but not 1.5. and there is no way to change where these modules point to without doing a lot of custom work.

i mean, for instance, when i click a title / image link in category blog layout, it points to the URL:

*ww.zhongwenmovies.com/index.php?option=com_multicategories&view=article&id=177:pushing-hands&catid=5:movies&Itemid=111

but if i click that item / image link in yj nf 7, it points to:

*ww.zhongwenmovies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:pushing-hands&catid=57:movies

same item / image link in youjoomla newsflash 6 points to:

*ww.zhongwenmovies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:pushing-hands&catid=57:movies

from mod_search:

and finally from youjoomla image slider 8:

*ww.zhongwenmovies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:pushing-hands&catid=68:featured

if there was a way to include the item id in MetaMod so that certain modules display on category blog layout pages in the right position AND when you click them from yj nf 6 and yj nf 7, etc ect this would solve my problem and would be AWESOME!

i don't need to show modules at different times or anything, just simply make it appear as though everything points to the same pages.

using:

joomla version 1.5
metmod version mod_metamod-2-9 for Joomla 1.5

please advise:

thank you so much!

Edited By: baituo01
11-Sep-11 02:53:28

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: mods on all article pages & category blog

holy snap!

i used id and assigned the modules i want to display with metamod to "none" and then they displayed in both category blog AND when the title / image link is clicked in an extension on the front page.

AWESOME!!!

but it seems this only works when metamod is assigned to "all," which means those modules appear on the homepage etc.

is there a way to exclude certain pages?

thank you.

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts

Hi baituo01,

When you say "those modules appear on the homepage etc" do you mean that the complete target modules appear on these pages, or that the MetaMod "wrapper" (perhaps title, perhaps some borders/shading) appears on those pages?

If it's just the MetaMod and not the target modules that are appearing, then you probably need MetaMod Pro to remove the empty MetaMods, when the MetaMods are not including any other modules.

See:
http://www.metamodpro.com/metamod/faq/2 … th-matamod
http://www.metamodpro.com/metamod/faq/2 … etamod-was

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

hi stephen,

sorry for not getting back sooner. busy with this thing called l.i.f.e.

i read the info you posted. neither of those situations apply.

basically the metamod appears correctly with all the assigned modules on all pages, i just don't know how to omit certain pages. the only way that it appears is by having it assigned to ALL. i don't mind having to purchase megamod pro, but i only want to if it's absolutely necessary.

i'd like to omit the frontpage, disclaimer page, about us page, etc..
can i do this with metamod? if so, how? if not, please advise and i will consider purchasing metamod pro.

thank you.

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts

Hi baituo01,

Typically, what you do is assign the module to ALL pages, or a certain subset if you know there are some pages you definitely want to exclude.

Then, you create the conditions where you want the modules to be included or excluded.

A simple way of excluding some pages is to write a line for each one of them like this, and at the end of each condition do a "return" statement with no module id in it. Then at the end of the list of conditions, return a module id number.

In this way, the module id only gets returned (displayed) if all the other conditions are not met.

e.g. something like this:

if ($core_genius->check("pagetype = frontpage")) return;
if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 101, 104, 155")) return;// exclude articles
return XXX; // replace XXX with module id to display.
// instead of the previous line, you could put in all the other conditions
// you were using. The exclusions get run first, then your other conditions.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

hi stephen,

just doing some tests excluding pages. i have found that i can exclude the frontpage with the code you suggested, but if i try to change the info to "disclaimer" and change and/or add additional page numbers, the module still appears on those pages.

i use:

if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 1")) return;// exclude articles
return 81; //

WORKS!!

i use:

if ($core_genius->check("pagetype = disclaimer")) return;

if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 147")) return;// exclude articles
return 81; //

DOESN'T WORK!!

can you please advise me? thank you, sir.

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts

Hi baituo01,

"disclaimer" isn't a page type that JomGenius knows about... "pagetype" is something like "article", "search", "contact" etc. See http://www.metamodpro.com/jomgenius/par … reexamples for a complete list of all things it recognises.

Instead, you could detect it by the article id like you are doing in the next line. If there are several article ids that you want to exclude, put them in the box like this:

if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 147, 148, 149")) return;// exclude articles
return 81; // use this on all pages except for the listed article pages.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

hi stephen,

i got it to exclude another page with:

if ($core_genius->check("pagetype = frontpage, article")) return;
if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 1, 127")) return;// exclude articles
return 81; //

but no matter what i do, i cannot seem to get it to add other modules to the  metamod. (as you see, i only have 81 listed.) if i do 81, 27, etc... it doesn't work. i also tried:

return 81, 27; //

if ($core_genius->check("pagetype = article")) return;
if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 127")) return;// exclude articles
return 81, 27; //

and many other combinations to see if various input methods would work, but they do not.

if i want more modules to appear in the metamod, where (how) do i list them?

is my first method of excluding pages correct? if not, how can i adjust so that i can exclude pages and add more modules to the metamod?

thank you, sir.

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts

To return more than one module, put them in double quotes like this:

return "81, 27";

Also, your other lines don't make complete sense...

- in the first line you "return" if the pagetype is frontpage or article,
- in the next line you check for article id 1 or 127. But you're not going to get a page with any article ids on it because the previous line has already excluded them. So this line is unnecessary and can be removed. What exactly were you hoping to do with article id 1 or 127?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

hi stephen,

this code works to perform the function i want, which is to exclude the metamod from appearing on the frontpage:

return "27, 93, 84, 81";

(i don't really know if it's 'logical' or not, just know it works)

however, if i have a page that i want to design differently, what should i do? for instance, lets say i have a page called "disclaimer." it's an "article" page and the article number is "254." on this page, i want other modules to appear in the metamod position that are different than the ones excluded from the frontpage. NOT "27, 93, 84, 81".

is this possible? if so, how? 

i was thinking to do this:

return "27, 93, 84, 81";

if ($core_genius->check("pagetype = article")) return;

if ($content_genius->check("article_id = 254")) return;// exclude articles
return "20, 25, 29";

but that doesn't work. sorry if i'm not misunderstanding something very simple. trying my best.

thank you, sir.

baituo01
Intermediate Modder
ranks
useravatar
46 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: