Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Is MetaMod the correct solution for my case?

Is MetaMod the correct solution for my case?

I'm brought here by google when trying to find solution for my problem.

This is the first time I use Joomla and I can't write php.  So, sorry I really need your advice if MetaMod is my correct solution.

My problem:
On the frontpage, under the top menu, there are slider/banners, then the VM's mod_featuredproduct.
What I expect is when I click on the featured product, it will lead to the flypage; this part is okay.  What I also expect is the slider/banner should vanish (I assigned them to HOME only at "menu selection"), but they still stay there. sad

Is it normal?
i.e. I have to work on something else to get the result I want.  Is MetaMod the correct solution?  Must I learn php to proceed?
Or, it is strange, I have made stupid mistake and broke something?

Kindly please help to advise what is the problem, and direction to handle.

What I have installed are:
Joomla 1.5.32
Virtuemart 1.1.9
Joomfish 2.1.7
jquery++ integrator
swmenufree 6.1
coinslider 1.4.3
& a virtuemart template

url: http://exuberancebeauty.com.hk/devground

Thanks and Regards,

Edited By: savio
21-Aug-11 21:27:30

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Is MetaMod the correct solution for my case?

Hi Savio,

MetaMod can certainly do what you're wanting it to do. This is a classic Joomla issue, and a classic VirtueMart issue.

Could I just check with you, exactly what sort of page is the front page of your site? Is it a "normal" Joomla front page (i.e. com_content), or have you assigned a VirtueMart front page as the front page?

A good way to get the info I am looking for is for you to install MetaMod, and create a new MetaMod module. Assign the module to the front page (just like you assigned the mod_featuredproduct module), and turn on "advanced debug mode" in the MetaMod.

Then when you view the front page of your site, you'll see a whole lot of debug output produced by the MetaMod.

Could you copy and paste all the output from that and put it into a forum reply? With that I'll be able to give you the exact code to use to get the featured product module to disappear from those other pages.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you for your reply.

After those blind guess, blind test, blind search, I just come to notice that there is something called "itemid". tongue  Together with your reply, I am happy to know that I have not broken anything yet.

I've followed your instruction and this is what I get.

Page Identification
The PHP code below may be used to help MetaMod to identify the exact page that you are viewing. For help using this feature, please click here.
if (
$option == 'com_content'
and $view == 'frontpage'
and $Itemid == '1'
and JRequest::getVar('limit') == 9 /*!*/
) return XXX; /* replace XXX with the module ID or position to display */
Note: lines starting with "and" and ending with /*!*/ contain rules that may be optional. You may wish to leave them out.
MetaMod debug info:
Module ID: 37
$option: com_content
$view: frontpage
$id:
$Itemid: 1
$timezone: Etc/GMT-8
$language: en-us
$language_code: en
$language_region: us
Including modules: None

Regards,
Savio

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts

Thanks for the output - that helps a lot.

1 - read the Quick Start guide and make sure you understand it!

http://www.metamodpro.com/metamod/quick-start

2 - edit your banner module and set it to display on "none" menu items.

3 - edit the MetaMod, turn off the title, and keep it assigned to "all" menu items.

4 - in the MetaMod, keep the "module id include" field blank, and use this for the PHP rule:

if (
  $option == 'com_content'
  and $view == 'frontpage'
  and $Itemid == '1' )
return XXX;
// replace XXX with the module id of your banner module

5 - save your MetaMod and test.

6 - you may be able to assign the MetaMod to only the "front page". That will reduce the number of pages where the MetaMod has to be calculated, so is better for performance.

Please write back if you have any problems with this.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

I do a test and I think I know what is happening.

About my "banner", I am in fact using 3 modules/positions.
I have tried to put all module id's, separate by comma, to replace the XXX.  Nothing show up.
I then tried to duplicate that 5 lines of php three times, and replace the module id one at each time.  Only the first module show up.

Sorry I can't wirte php.  How should the php be modified in this case?

Thanks

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts

Million Thanks!

Just remember I read somewhere else in your forum that we can duplicate the MetaMod module itself.  I just did it and everything works like a charm.

Would like to know "does your php box read php directly"?
Or the lines in this box will somehow be "translated" first?
Just in case if I go to learn some php, I won't make stupid mistake here.

After knowing how powerful MetaMod is, I'm sure I will need to use its other features when I further develop our website.

Great Job!  Thanks.

Savio

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts

Hi Savio,

you can return all 3 modules in 1 return statement, if you put quotes around them like this:

return "101,102,103";

That means you don't have to make separate MetaMod modules. Note that you don't have to duplicate MetaMods in order to get a new one; you can make a new module of type "MetaMod" and have as many as you like.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your advise and I need you help again.  About "position" this time, I think.

I kept my own setting because I need that 3 modules (a coinslider, a dummy block, and a banner-set) to be placed horizontally.
(a side track: without the dummy block, the other two will overlap with each other)
put a tp=1 on my url at 1st post can help to explain my situation better.

What I want to do now is to have different banner-set for different language visitor.
What I've done is I inserted one more line

and $language_code == 'en' 

into the ones you gave above.  Duplicated this MetaMod for another language, changed the 'en' and point to another module id.
The result is: The banner-set switch correctly, but the overall layout break, 1st and 3rd modules overlap again as no dummy-block is there.

Sorry that I learn css together with joomla ^_^!!

1.  Feel free to let me know if the "dummy block" way is wrong at the first place.

2.  I have put the two MetaMod modules (different lanugauges) to share the same position.  Is it correc to do that?

3.  In fact, I've tried different positions, with or without the dummy block, and none of them work.  Do you know what is happening?  Anything to do with the template?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Savio

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts

Hi Savio,

I've just been looking at your site, even with the tp=1 switch on. I can't really see which module positions you are referring to. But I think I understand that you are having some layout problems with assigning more than 1 module into the same position, and that this is causing the layout to break.

At this point, it's not really a MetaMod issue any more...

However, in most templates it's fine (and expected) that you can assign more than 1 module into the same position. It is then a matter of HTML/CSS as to how the modules are going to be laid out in the position - either horizontally or vertically or both.

I notice that there are LOTS of module positions in your layout. If you are having problems putting more than 1 module into the same position, then would it be better just to assign 1 module per position? e.g. user1-user3, user4-user6 and user7-user9? With MetaMod you'd need 1 MM per position which is a little unwieldy, but it is at least logical.

Just some thoughts - hope that might help.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

First of all, I must thanks for your time to take care this newbie.

As you've visited my url, hope I can explain it clearer this time.

The three banners stacked together on right-hand side is in fact one module.  It occupies one position.
Due to the very first issue (which is solved by MetaMod), I set that module to "none" in menu-selection and use MetaMod with your recipe to replace it.  By then, a MetaMod module is using that position.

Then comes the language issue - I hope to display different version of banners when different language is selected.
I duplicate the banner module, change the jpegs.  I also duplicate a MetaMod to handle this banner module.  Because the visitor can select only one langauge at a time, I think it is logical to use the same position for this new MetaMod module, so I do it.

The result is I can have the correct version of banners with the langauge selected.  But the image overlap with the large picture on left-hand side.  It doesn't happen if I don't bring in the language issue.

Hope it is mainly a css puzzle.  I am doing some read on it.

Thanks,
Savio

=====================================
Hope you don't mind I side track somewhere.
I see you are a Joomfish user.
I read from someone's blog that it is Joomfish's "policy" to not allow people to share contentelements on Internet.
I think I need one, but not sure if I will find it there after joining their Bronze plan.
I have tried asking question there, but the question itself never appear on their forum.
Would you mind if I ask you, as an experienced Joomfish user, merely for advice here?

savio
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
14 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today: