Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Using Pro on Articles

Using Pro on Articles

Is it possible to use Pro to change templates for a article from one size to another. I have a article on my site I want to post to facebook using a I frame but facebook limits width to 520px. I created a template without a header or any modules that is 520px wide. How can I force facebook to use this template with pro when accessing this article?

chrisjames911
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Using Pro on Articles

Hi Chris,

that's a good question. Can I ask for some more details about it?

You say that it's just for displaying 1 article. Is there any chance that people can navigate within your site from within the iframe? In other words, if there's any navigation on that article page, then people can start to move to different pages on your site, and the problem is a little more complex.

Assuming that this is ONLY one article, and people can't navigate within your site from that article page when using the new template, then I'd do this:

- in the MetaTemplate Pro rule, type "facebook.com" into the "referrer" box, and set the type to "contains". (i.e. the referrer web page contains the text "facebook.com").
- in the same rule, select the particular article you want to target in the Article id(s) box. (there's a pop-up selector to help you to search for the article).
- in the SUCCEED action, set the desired template.
- that's all!

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Hi metamodguy,

Thanks for this info. I was searching the net for this same question.
and just what I needed to know.

McEthan
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
1 Posts

Stephen,
Thanks for the response but you know it cant be that easy. The article i am trying to send to facebook is created by a component i have on my joomla site and there are navigation links. The component creates a registration form and allows people to register for events on facebook. Can this still be done with Meta Pro?

chrisjames911
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi Chris,

ok, that's good to know. We can add in some more factors to get around that.

Basically what we do is to set a session variable when we detect that the request is from Facebook. Then when they navigate, even though the *referrer* is no longer Facebook, we can detect that the session variable is set, and know that they are still in the iframe. Or at least we hope they are...

The kicker is that if the person opens up your web site in another browser tab at the same time that your site is open in Facebook, then the site will get confused. It will think that the site is in Facebook even when it's displayed normally in the browser.

One of the best ways to work around this is to use a "parked domain" on your site. e.g. if you are using cPanel, create a parked domain of "fb.mysite.com". Then use MetaTemplate(/Pro) to use the alternative FB-friendly template for "fb.mysite.com", and the normal template for www.mysite.com. Then just use the fb.mysite.com URL for the facebook embedding.

It's much less likely that someone will manually navigate to "fb.mysite.com" at the same time as they have it open in the browser - if anything, they are likely to go to "www.mysite.com".

The "parked domain" solution doesn't even require the session variable thing I mentioned at the start.

If parked domains are not an option for you, let me know and I'll describe how to do the session variable thing. It's pretty simple and very effective apart from the problem described above.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,
I cant do the parked domain as the ticketing platform would have to be attached to both domains and It would not track the ticket sales properly. I could end up over selling a event. Can you explain the other option or would you be willing to set up this function I will gladly pay for your services. I just need to get it done ASAP.

Chris

chrisjames911
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Ah, ok, that's a complication.

I'll send you a PM and we can sort out access details for me to take a look at it in about 30 minutes.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: