Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Can I use metamod, to detect country ip, and then change VM Currency?

Can I use metamod, to detect country ip, and then change VM Currency?

Is it possible to use meta mod geo ip stuff, to change the currency on visitor's browser? Ie. US visitors see shop with dollars, and UK visitors see prices in pounds? I can't see anything in receipes about this, or with searching forums hmm I hope so! Happy to purchase the pro version if required..

fewleh
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Can I use metamod, to detect country ip, and then change VM Currency?

Can I ask how your shop is set up, and with which component? e.g. VirtueMart?

Is it possible in that component for *anything* to be able to change the display of the currency? e.g. is there already a mechanism for setting up an alternative pricing structure, and the possibility of changing to the alternative, e.g. via component preferences or individual user preferences?

The simple answer is that MetaMod can generally just decide whether to display a particular module or not, depending on things like GeoIP. This is probably not the same as switching your pricing system from one type to another, but again that depends on the capabilities of your particular cart system.

Sorry I can't help more than that without more info about your setup.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Re: Can I use metamod, to detect country ip, and then change VM Currency?

Note for anyone looking for ways to change VM currency based on GeoIP or other factors:

This is REALLY easy to do with Chameleon, from v2.58 onwards (June 2016).

You can set up Chameleon rules to detect a country with GeoIP and set a particular currency and/or shopper group. The shopper group option is particularly useful because you can set up different prices for your products for different shopper groups. Using this, you could set up a totally different pricing structure and currency for shoppers who meet certain criteria:

- from different countries (GeoIP)
- who access your site using a different domain
- in different seasons of the year (date ranges)
- etc.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: