Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

MetaMod Pro & FLEXIcontent Tags

MetaMod Pro & FLEXIcontent Tags

Hello and thank you for an amazing component!

I'm attempting to integrate MetaMod Pro (2.6) and FLEXIcontent (1.5.3) which has tagging capabilities – with Joomla 1.5.22.

I'm currently using MetaMod for GeoIP, which works great. I also have several tags in FLEXIcontent ("US", "UK", "CA" and "EU"). I'd like to be able to use MetaMod to control articles and menus according to these tags in addition to GeoIP.

So, for example, FLEXIcontent items (articles) tagged "US" and "CA" would only show up for people in the US and Canada. And also a latestnews module would only load the "US" and "CA" tagged items.

I'm currently using your GeoIP recipe. Just not sure how to integrate FLEXIcontent's tags.

Any suggestions?

sorry - should've posted this in the Pro forum!

Edited By: marclalosh
26-Mar-11 23:13:49

marclalosh
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
8 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: MetaMod Pro & FLEXIcontent Tags

Hi marclalosh,

I'm not 100% sure whether you are talking about controlling modules (and therefore perhaps menus) with MetaMod, or whether you're trying to prevent articles themselves from being able to be viewed unless you're from a particular country.

There's fine line between controlling the link to a page, and controlling the actual display of a page. MetaMod is best at controlling the links to the pages. If people have the URL for a page (e.g. via Google search results) then it's more difficult to prevent the people from actually viewing it. It's not impossible, just more difficult.

You also say you want  "... a latestnews module to only load the US and CA tagged items". That's something that MetaMod isn't going to help with, unless the latestnews module is a special Flexicontent one that is able to restrict display to certain tagged items. Then, MetaMod might be able to change which tags are selected for a particular page / GeoLocation. However I dont' see one of these on my standard Flexicontent install...

So the question comes down to: what do you want to achieve, exactly?

It looks a bit like you want latestnews modules to be restricted to displaying article links dependent on the location of the viewer, so that if the viewer is from the US, s/he will only see article links for articles tagged as "US".

Assuming for the moment that there's isn't a latestnews module that can restrict its content according to K2 tags, then perhaps you could use categories for the different countries? The latestnews module can restrict itself to articles from different categories, so you could have one that gets the latest news from the US category and one from the CA category etc. Then you could decide which latestnews module to display depending on the country of the viewer.

Sorry this is a bit convoluted...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

I just saw a module called AiDaNews Module that might have tag support. Have you tried that one?

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Marvelous! Thank you!

marclalosh
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
8 Posts