Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Geoip issue?

Geoip issue?

Hi Stephen. I´m exploring a (to me) new feature of metatemplate, the geoip.

Unfortuantely, once I have enabled the geoip in the metatemplate, the page which is affected displays an error:
"Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'geoip.inc' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/mypage/public_html/administrator/components/com_metatemplate/geoip/geoipcity.inc.php on line 33".

I installed geoip through metatemplate, and checked that the files exist.
Am I doing anything wrong here?

-Julian

apollo123
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
17 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Geoip issue?

Hi apollo123,

I fixed this issue in a release last week. Can you please download the latest version, install it on top of the previous version (no need to uninstall first), then try again?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Perfect! smile Works like a charm now.

On a side note;
I am building a website on localhost, and I have just about got all the features I would like to have, working now.
Going live, I am planning on building everything from scratch again as my programming skills are not as bad as they used to be:)

Being on localhost, I never really paid much attention to security, so I do not know much about the dos and don´ts.
-Have you got any resource/s that you could recommend?

Have a nice day,

Julian

apollo123
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
17 Posts

The place that you host with is extremely important. If you need to change anything to 777 permissions then it's bad news!

Essentially you need to have apache running as the owner of your account, rather than as a generic "httpd" or "apache" or "_www" user. If apache is running as one of those users, then you should run a mile too! [there are some exceptions, but in general the host should be running apache as a CGI or FastCGI or using phpSuExec or suPHP.

After that it's useful to have mod_security or suhosin set up on the server, and administered by someone who knows what they are doing.

After that, most of it's down to you:

- don't install a million extensions you're trying out from the JED
- carefully evaluate each and every one that you do install
- keep them up to date, always
- keep Joomla up to date, always
- avoid hacking Joomla directly as it makes you have to think twice before upgrading
- avoid hacking other extensions for the same reason, unless your programming skills are excellent
- completely remove any extensions you are not using; also any unused templates. Don't just disable things and think that they are removed.
- If you are writing your own extensions, don't use $_GET and $_POST: learn about JRequest and how it works
- ALWAYS sanitise variables you get from the outside. Using JRequest is a good start.
- ALWAYS do an htmlentities() call on anything from user input or the database that you are outputting to the HTML document, if it's not intended to include HTML. If it IS intended to include HTML, learn about how to sanitise HTML code.

They're my top tips!
There should be zillions of resources about this sort of thing on the internet - just do a search.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you for that excellent reply!

Looks like I have my work cut out for me smile

Have a great day (or I guess it´s night for you smile )

-Julian

apollo123
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
17 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: