Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Working with both meta component and the right SEF URLs engine

Working with both meta component and the right SEF URLs engine

Hi Stephen, I had a terrible experience this weekend on the sh404sef support forum. After checking other post on their forum, and noticing a common trend of rudeness, mirroring issue and not taking any blame for the sh404sef component instability, I have come to believe that sh404sef have serious core design flaws that are not compliant with joomla's standards. That would explain why the original designer dropped the production of it. But it was picked up by http://dev.anything-digital.com/ for the paid license. Go figure...

I have tried to get rid of that component a couple of time already. Every time I try to uninstall from the usual joomla uninstall menu for all components, my site goes completely down with a php error (I didn't take note of it last time unfortunately) and I have to restore from a previous backup. So I have been stuck with this sh404sef for many years because that matter!

I cannot even export my URL either using their component, it shows another PHP error in their exporter. I think I've pretty much figured out their way of doing business sort of speak. No way to export, no way for me to uninstall... I doubt I am the only one with this issue.

I wanted to asked you what SEF URLs engine are you using? AceSEF seems to be the only good alternative to sh404sef, maybe I'm wrong.

I tried to install AceSEF yesturday, but the general config of AceSEF requires to disable the system - jfrouter plugin in order for Joomfish to work.

I think you made modification on that system - jfrouter plugin to make it compatible with metamodpro but maybe I am wrong. I only know we need to change the position of the plugin in the chain to avoid problem (you currently put it at position -101 in the system plugin chain order).

So I got both sh404sef installed on my site at the same time right now. I disabled sh404sef in the component backend menu and enabled AceSEF using their requirements, but it doesn't work, I get a joomla red screen 500 error.

So you what component do you recommend for SEF URLs to work safely with metamodpro, metatemplate and joomfish all at once? What do you make of sh404sef, am I right to be suspicious about the core design of it?

Cheers,
Alex

P.S: For your information my website is not currently down, I have switched back to sh404sef and everything is normal except multiple domain handling and the issue I described above about the removal of the component and URL export.

Edited By: atherrien
14-Feb-11 02:30:42

atherrien
Modder Extraordinaire
ranks
useravatar
140 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Working with both meta component and the right SEF URLs engine

Hi again,

I'm actually a fan of the built-in SEF URLs in Joomla. Admittedly there are some great new features appearing in sh404SEF, and some constraints in standard Joomla SEF, but so far I only use standard Joomla SEF on all the major sites I manage.

I test MetaMod and MetaTemplate against sh404SEF and AceSEF whenever I work on features that are affected by the SEF system.

I can't really comment too much on the stability and business direction of sh404SEF. In the past there were definitely some quality (& speed) issues but I was optimistic when it got bought out, that developers would be able to spend quality time on fixing things. I'm sad if the quality has not improved. Joomla deserves better.

Typically, to disable sh404SEF I would first ensure that I've disabled it from within the sh404SEF component, then disable standard Joomla SEF URLs, then disable any of the sh404SEF plugins, then try deleting sh404SEF from the system. A good backup component like AkeebaBackup is invaluable during the process.

Regarding JoomFish and the jfrouter: there are some issues with the jfrouter that cause some problems, at least with standard Joomla SEF. I wrote the "advanced JoomFish SEF" plugin to replace the standard jfrouter plugin and it works well for me... I don't know how robust this is with sh404SEF though, since I don't use that on any of my live sites.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen, thank you for sharing your experience with SEF URLs and meta components. I still have sh404sef running my site. It's OK, the speed looks fine. The only thing is that I have problem with multiple incoming domain URL on the same site. It doubles the URL like http://www.mydomain.com/mydomain.com

The only way I found to avoid that was too remove the $live_site variable from the configuration.php file. That is always the way I was able to work around the problem.

I wonder what you think of that kind of setting. It doesn't seem to affect anything.

Cheers,
Alex

atherrien
Modder Extraordinaire
ranks
useravatar
140 Posts

Sorry - I have no idea.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Hi, atherrien --

Regarding removing live_site url from the configuration.php file, I had some other issues which may or may not be related to SH404sef so I have removed the url from livesite.

In my chamaeleon-enhanced website here is what I am currently using in my joomla configuration.php file:

public $live_site = '';

I just made the above modification recently, and I will report back here if I find any issues.  I know in the SH404sef documentation SH404sef prefers the live site have the domain included.  But with chameleon I am seeing if I can leave it blank.

I am mainly using Chameleon to deliver different templates for different subdomains.

Again, I will report back here if I find any issues.  And please report back here if you experience any issues with Chameleon/SH404sef and public $live_site = '';

Regards

Rowby

rowby
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
24 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics: