Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

When Metamod for Joomla 1.6 is released ?

When Metamod for Joomla 1.6 is released ?

Hi...

Metamod is awesome extension, i very like this tool

As we know that Joomla 1.6 has been released
When Metamod is compatible with Joomla 1.6 ?

Thank you in advance

Regards smile

chuk
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: When Metamod for Joomla 1.6 is released ?

Hi chuk,

That's a good question. I have started working on the 1.6 conversion for MetaTemplate, and it's a BIG job. MetaMod may be a little simpler, but MetaMod Pro again may be a bit more complex.

So the plan is definitely that there will be 1.6 versions of MetaMod (+ Pro) and MetaTemplate (+ Pro) but it's just going to take some time.

Another difficult thing about it is that Joomla 1.6 has a very short life span - it's only going to be the official Joomla version for a matter of months before 1.7 is supposed to be released. I think that most Joomla developers are probably thinking very carefully about how this affects them with regard to programming effort and the amount of support that the 1.6 version of their extensions is going to take.

If 1.7 is substantially similar to 1.6 then the time spent on the 1.6 compatibility upgrade will be worthwhile... but as yet, no-one really knows.

I hope that helps.
Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,

While I would LOVE to have a 1.6 version, I completely understand your position.  I am building my first 'real' site under 1.6 (client's demand) and I already miss my "little savior" - MetaMod!

Rick

momentis
Web Developer
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
12 Posts
User info in posts

Sorry :-(

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this, you must be reading it a lot...But any news on meta template for 1.6?

I love it so much I can't imagine my sites without it! :)Thank you for your good work, your extensions are really useful and well done!

Thanks,

Catherine

GGCath
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Catherine,

Like many developers, I'm finding the conversion to 1.6 to be hard work. Although there are not many external changes to J1.6 (e.g. the access control mechanism, and a revamped admin section), there are some very significant changes to the API. Furthermore, there's very little documentation about the changes, and us developers are finding it hard going. I'm not the only one who's wondering if it's really worth it given the short projected shelf-life of J1.6.

However I *am* working on MetaTemplate for J1.6 and at this stage expect that it will see the light of day.

*When?* you ask?

*When it's finished, works and is tested* I reply smile

At this time I just can't give a date for it. There are many puzzles yet to solve.

Cheers,
Stephen

p.s. I'm glad you love it so much! Would you care to share some of the things that you use it for? I'm hoping to give a talk at Joomla and Beyond 2011 including case studies of sites using MetaTemplate and MetaMod, so I am looking for even more good examples of innovative uses. Thanks!

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen!

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know if I am a good example...I don't use Metatemplate and metamod in a lot of ways or innovatively...I use them to control the templates for non-logged in users on websites and different languages. We also use metamod with to control our modules according to the url...

If we ever do something more out of the ordinary, i'll bu sure to send you a message!

Thanks again,

Catherine

GGCath
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for this info

"If 1.7 is substantially similar to 1.6 then the time spent on the 1.6 compatibility upgrade will be worthwhile... but as yet, no-one really knows."

I dont think there will be a lot of changes between those two Joomla versions though..Its my guess only even K2 have changed their mind now and will release K2 for Joomla 1.6.

I am amazed what speed new J 1.6 have and new version have compared to old J 1.6 versions I have tested ! Everything working really nice.

Use backup Akeeba Akeeba & Admin tool to download here  and Admin tool for future Joomla 1.6+ updates and your backup.

Here is some tips about J 1.6 database changes,info and below PHPDoc Blocks

Joomla database changes 1.6

Andrew Eddie has published some excellent doc on JDatabaseQuery and the database changes in 1.6. Good resource for developers looking to upgrade Extensions to 1.6.

This is also good tips for updating to J 1.6 admin

Updating from J 1.5 to J 1.6

Check there Marius van Rijnsoever tips instead smile

Marius Doxygen
http://www.jfusion.org/api16/class_j_table_nested.html

Joomla code sniffer
http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_CodeSniffer
http://forge.joomla.org/gf/project/jcodesniffer/
http://www.rouvenwessling.de/joomla/joomla16/

Joomla core dev group discussions about this topic
http://groups.google.com/group/joomla-d … fc6c1202e0

This is a tips for helping translation of ini files etc with help of Google and with a language tool.

Language-File-Tool

ssnobben
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hey thanks for these great tips and links. I've now installed the Joomla Codesniffer and made a macro for Textmate to call the codesniffer on the currently displayed file.

There's also very useful info in the database changes doc - thank you for this. I hadn't seen this particular info, and it addresses some things I needed to know.

I've given up on the idea of trying to keep a single installer for 1.5 and 1.6. The changes are just too big and too many, and I don't want to be held back by backwards compatibility.

Thanks for the info!
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Said it before and I will say it again - MetaMod Pro has saved my behind SO many times I cannot count.  It is THE tool that I simply cannot live with on my sites!!!!

momentis
Web Developer
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
12 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls: