Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

YooExpo Main Menu with Meatamod Pro

YooExpo Main Menu with Meatamod Pro

I have just upgraded to metamod pro, enabled plugin, updated to latest metamod. Using metamod to swap out menus based on php. Have yoo_expo from yootheme as template.

Unfortunately, the menu doesn't pull up right still, as the title of the menu acts as the main menu tab, and the menu items are beneath as sub-menu items. Show title is off on both mods (menu and meta).

Suggestions? Thanks!

Edited By: techgump
27-Jan-11 06:22:00

techgump
Local SEO Guru
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: YooExpo Main Menu with Meatamod Pro

Hi,

can you please check: does it make any difference at all to the output of the page when you toggle the plugin on/off? If it doesn't, then I suspect that there's some other component or plugin on your system that's interfering with MetaMod Pro.

Examples include old versions of NoNumber's Advanced Module Manager, older versions of BreezingForms, and others...

In this situation I usually end up going through all the other 3rd party plugins, switching them all off and seeing if that makes any difference, and if so turning them on one by one until I find the culprit.

If you're stuck, I'd be happy to log into your site to help debug it - just send me a note with superadmin account details.

Sorry for the hassle,
Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks for the quick reply Stephen.

It does make a difference in turning on or off the plugin.

Before I had the plugin, the rendering would force the metamod mod title to be displayed as the menu item (menu tab).

After turning on the plugin, we got closer (as it is now), where the metamod title is no longer shown, but the title of the MENU mod is now the menu it (menu tab). Of course both mods are set to NOT show titles. I've tried several different settigns, including "yoo" styling tags in metamod params.

I'll send you the admin details so you can take a peak. It has to do with the way the yootheme renders those menu mods, especially with their newest themes.

As a note for others.... this is by no means a fault of metamod (& pro) itself... but rather the very custom way in which yootheme detects and loads main menu positions. Hopefully we can find a work around.

techgump
Local SEO Guru
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts

Ok, this is a difficult one. You're right - it appears that Yootheme Warp templates do unusual things with modules assigned to the "menu" position.

Reference: http://www.yootheme.com/warp/menu-system

What I see here is that if you assign a normal mod_mainmenu module to the "menu" module position, then you have to set a couple of things in the module to make it appear as a horizontal menu:

menu class suffix: menu-dropdown
module class suffix: style-menu

So if you add those to a normal mod_mainmenu menu item, then the Warp framework picks up that module and uses the items in the related menu as horizontal / dropdown menu items.

Now, normally when you use MetaMod to wrap a module, the template uses a standard method to get the list of modules for that module position, and display them.

In this case, I have a feeling that the Warp system is directly querying the database, finding the MetaMod, and perhaps trying to get the "menu class suffix" and "module class suffix" from the MetaMod. Not finding them, or realising that it's not a mod_mainmenu module, it just tries to render it as a normal module. At that point, MetaMod Pro does get a chance to kick in, and renders the module without some of the extra HTML that standard MetaMod would have put around it.

At least, that's my educated guess.

This is a real pain, and I just can't see any way for MetaMod Pro to get around the problem. I tried a number of possibilities on your site but came to the conclusion above.

So I tried a new approach.

It seems to me that you just want to be able to toggle some menu items for different groups of people, right? Or different IP addresses?

So I installed MetaTemplate (free) as this has the ability to "turn off" certain menu items depending on PHP rules. In that sense it's very similar to configure to MetaMod. Instead of returning a module id at the end of the rule, you return a true or a false (for "rule succeed" or "rule fail", then set an action to do if the rule succeeds or fails.

Then I set up a blank rule that always succeeds, and in the Succeed action I told it to hide 2 of the menu items. Lo and behold - it worked even with the Warp system.

It's currently hiding 2 menu items - Product Overview and Case Studies, just for the sake of testing.

I think you'll probably be able to do all of the menu hiding and switching with this system. You may want to assign several menu modules to the menu, then use MetaTemplate to turn off some of the items in some or all of the menus, depending on the conditions you set up.

I hope that helps - and I am sorry that even MetaMod Pro couldn't fix your problem this time.

[by the way, both MetaMod and MetaMod Pro were way out of date on your site - I installed the latest versions of each]

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Excellent! Thanks Stephen for your time and effort towards a solution. Absolutely yes, I am needing to turn on and off certain menu items based on php variables, so your solution works perfectly. I have not had the chance to use your MetaTemplate, but am now eager to have my hand at it. I had a few other sites where I had to custom hack the yootheme templates to avoid similar situations in the past, so this should help in avoiding that as well in the future!

Excellent products, excellent service and support.

techgump
Local SEO Guru
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts

Just a quick update for all you users. MetaTemplate ROCKS, A++, I highly recommend you at least try it so you understand it's power.

techgump
Local SEO Guru
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my yootheme template

I want to show one Menu for "Public" visitors and another for "Members" of the site. (Joomla 2.5)

I tried to follow along with what you are doing in this post but I have to admit you totally lost me. I did purchase a copy of chameleon just now and installed it but I am not sure what my next step should be.

any help would be appreciated.

joshcarr6
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
1 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Josh,

the technique we are talking about is based on the fact that Chameleon can hide individual menu items as a result of a rule.

The concept is that you will therefore set up both sets of menu items inside the same menu. i.e. the main menu (or whichever menu) will contain the items you want to show for the public, AND the ones you want to show for Members.

Then, in Chameleon you set up a rule that detects "public". In the Succeed action you get it to disable all the menu items for members. In the Fail action you get it to disable all the menu items for Public.

It's easy to set up:

1 - create all the menu items. If you currently have them in 2 different menus, just move all of the items from the 2nd menu back into the 1st one. Re-order them as necessary.

2 - create a new rule in Chameleon. Name it. In the "Users and Groups" select "All non-logged in" in the Groups section.

3 - in the right column of the rule there are 2 main sections: a "Succeed action" and a "Fail action". The Succeed action will be executed whenever the rule (i.e. checking for non-logged in users) succeeds. If the rule fails (i.e. a user is logged in), the Fail action will be run.

So in the Succeed action, find the section marked "Unpublish menus". Here, select all the menu items that you don't want to display for non-logged in users.

In the Fail action, unpublish all the menu items that you don't want to display for logged-in users.

4 - save the rule and test it on the front-end.

That should do it!

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: