Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Removing menu-item and caching

Removing menu-item and caching

First of all, thanks for this great extension!
I use MetaTemplate to remove the Login menu-item for registered users. This worked like a charm. Although, until i turned on default joomla (file) caching. (It took me a while to discover that smile
I played around with the rule, also turned on debug, and everything seems to work ok. It looks like I get a previous cached menu. Is there a way to get around this?

rwijs
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Removing menu-item and caching

Hi rwijs,

The problem with caching is... it caches things!

Because Joomla doesn't normally allow you to alter things so dynamically, the caching mechanism doesn't normally need to cache a different version for logged-in users and guests - however this is what it would now need to do, in order to work in your situation.

The overall Joomla System Cache plugin (is that the one you mean?) is a big blunt instrument that just isn't going to work for you.

The cache that's in the Joomla Global Preferences can possibly be made to work. When you edit most types of modules, you get the ability to "opt out" of the cache -- so I would suggest that you use that cache, then go into the Menu module for the menu that you are displaying, then in the parameters set the caching from "Use Global" to "No Caching".

Try that and please let us know how you get on...

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

I was indeed using the cache in the global system properties.
I already used the caching in the topmenu module, but still the menu-item was not properly removed.

I appreciate your time.

René

rwijs
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi René,

Are you still having problems with it? Even when the global cache is off, and the individual cache for the topmenu module is turned off ("no caching")?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry. Yes.
Only with cache completely turned off it works flawless.
Still, this component can do great things!

Regards,
René

rwijs
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Yes, the system plugin cache has to be turned off. I would expect the "global preferences" cache to be able to work as long as the modules concerned have opted out of the cache... but perhaps I'm wrong about that. I think I need to experiment a bit more with this to see where the caching actually occurs.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: