Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Metamod is does not work with Joomla Cache. How to fix it ?

Metamod is does not work with Joomla Cache. How to fix it ?

Hi...

Metamod is a great joomla extension, I'm very like this extension smile
but unfortunately Metamod is doesn't work when I Enable the Cache Setting in the Global Configuration.

Here is the information about Cache in my site :
- Cache Setting (in the Global Configuration) = Enable
- System Cache (in the Plugin Manager) = Disable
- Caching (in the Metamod Parameter) = Disable (No Caching)

I have module that show by Country, before I Enable the Cache Setting, it's work perfectly, but when I Enable the Cache Setting, Metamod is doesn't work. How to fix this issue ?

I really want to activate / enable the Cache Setting because it's useful for increase performace, and also I want to use Metamod because this is smart tool smile

Site : www.freejoomlatemplatez.com
Joomla version : 1.57
Metamod version : 1.0g/2.2c

Please help me.
Thank you in advance smile

Edited By: chuk
24-Dec-10 12:18:52

chuk
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Metamod is does not work with Joomla Cache. How to fix it ?

Hi Chuk,

I've just tested this in a basic configuration on my test site, and it seems to be working fine.

A few things to check:

1 - please update to the latest version of MetaMod. It's now up to version 2.6. This shouldn't make a difference to the caching code, but maybe...

2 - are you sure that the system cache plugin is turned off? That definitely causes problems with MetaMod depending on the exact factors you are using to determine whether the modules show or not. Basically the system cache caches every page according to its distinct URL, so everyone requesting an exact URL will get the same cached page. This is clearly not useful for things like browser detection, random selection, or anything related to sessions.

3 - what is the URL and component of a page where you have tried the caching and it doesn't work? I wonder if there's any chance that certain components do work and some that don't?

I tested with a standard Joomla article page:
- MetaMod PHP:

echo "Random number is: " . mt_rand(0,100) . "<br  />";

- With global config cache off, a new number was generated every page load.
- With global config cache on and MetaMod cache settings on "no caching", a new number was generated every page load
- With global config cache on and MetaMod cache settings on "Use Global", the generated number was cached and did not change on each page load. As soon as I changed it to "no caching", the numbers started going random again.

Can you test this out and see if you can isolate the problem any more?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen...

Many Thanks for your reply

I've tried all of your suggestion above but still doesn't work
I also has upgrade to Newest version (v2.6)

I forget to give information to you that the Metamod is doesn't work "only" in 1 module position. I have created custom / new module position in my template (in article), called topcontent. In other module position, Metamod is fine work except in this module.
For instance in this page : http://www.freejoomlatemplatez.com/port … .html?tp=1
There you can see the "topcontent" module position in article

Probably Metamod is not compatible with custom module position ?

I use Metamod for display the Google Ads (show by Country). Other Google Ads is fine work except in the Top of article.

Please help me, I'm very waiting of your reply smile
Thank you in advance.

Ghonjez

chuk
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

Hi Ghonjez,

MetaMod should be perfectly compatible with any type of module position. When I look at the URL you sent, I see the Google adwords ad in the topcontent position - that appears to be working.

On the other hand you haven't described what "doesn't work" - perhaps it's a spacing issue or something like that?

If you are finding that the target module does appear at the right times, BUT there are spacing/CSS issues and the module doesn't look the same when used with MetaMod compared to when it's not used with MetaMod, then this is a known issue. Please check the FAQs (in MetaMod menu on this site) to see some workarounds, including the best workaround which is MetaMod Pro.

I'm going to be off-line for the next week to spend time with my family. But next week I'd be happy to log in to your site to take a closer look at the issues. Just PM me with a superadmin login and I'll be happy to investigate.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

metamodguy wrote:

MetaMod should be perfectly compatible with any type of module position. When I look at the URL you sent, I see the Google adwords ad in the topcontent position - that appears to be working.

On the other hand you haven't described what "doesn't work" - perhaps it's a spacing issue or something like that?

Hi Stephen...

I'm coming back, I'm sorry for the Late reply

I will explain my issue more clearly

I use Metamod for display the Google Ads, and I block the ads from my country
In the all module position, the google ads is disappear (hidden) perfectly except in the 1 module, it's topcontent module position.

In this module position (topcontent module), sometimes the google ads is hidden but sometimes the ads is appear.
What is causing this ?

Hope this makes sense

Thank you in advance

Regards smile

chuk
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

Ok, I think you are saying that you are trying to hide the Google ads from everyone in your country. The ads in in the "topcontent" position (just above the content).
But sometimes even for you in your country, the ads show up!

I wonder if this is to do with the limitations of GeoIP. In some countries the accuracy of GeoIP is not very high. Perhaps, if your IP address is dynamic, sometimes the GeoIP database is not picking up the correct country, so is showing you the advertisement? What country are you in?

You seem certain that this is worse (or perhaps only happens) in the "topcontent" position. Are you sure about this? If you put it in a different position does it act in the same way?

I'm a bit puzzled about this.

Best,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen...

I'm sorry for the Late reply smile

metamodguy wrote:

I wonder if this is to do with the limitations of GeoIP. In some countries the accuracy of GeoIP is not very high. Perhaps, if your IP address is dynamic, sometimes the GeoIP database is not picking up the correct country, so is showing you the advertisement? What country are you in?

My IP address is static (not dynamic)
You're right, maybe the GeoIP in my country is not accurate. My country is Indonesia.

metamodguy wrote:

You seem certain that this is worse (or perhaps only happens) in the "topcontent" position. Are you sure about this? If you put it in a different position does it act in the same way?

Yes, the Google Ads is hidden in all modules, except in "topcontent" module position. I don't know what is causing this.

Only in "topcontent" module position, the Google Ads is not hidden perfectly because sometimes Hidden but sometimes Show up sad

Maybe you have the other idea for solve this issue ?

regards

chuk
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

I'm genuinely puzzled.

Can you try doing a test to see if the cache setting really does cache the MetaMod?

Make a new MetaMod and put it into the "top" position.

Enter the following code in the MetaMod:

echo mt_rand();

Then refresh the front-end page a few times and see if the number changes.
Then use different values for the cache parameter in MetaMod to see if that changes anything.

If the cache is on and working then the number should be the same every time you refresh the page. What you want to see is that you can set the cache inside MetaMod to "Disable (No Caching)", then the number should change on every refresh, even when the cache is turned on in the global parameters.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hello Stephen,

We have a website which is used across multiple countries (30 countries approx and 13 languages). We have used meta mod so that the website should load according to the geographical location.
But unfortunately, with cache the website shows random homepages for any country user (For eg. UK person can see Swedish homepage)
Once we off the cache, the website starts performing perfect. But then the speed of the website is super slow as no caching.
We need help ASAP on this issue. We are happy to give you access to review from the Joomla Side

Please let me know your reply ASAP.

Thanks,
Roma Gosavi

roma
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
1 Posts

Hi Roma,

This is a really difficult problem to solve, and you actually need to have a caching mechanism that is able to create a separate cache for each country, because the output from each page for each country is going to be different.

If the only thing changing on your page according to country is the module however, then you may be able to use a cache component called JotCache. This component allows you to specify module positions that you don't want to be cached. The rest of the page is cached, but as it comes out of the cache, JotCache re-runs the modules in that module position and places the refreshed content back into the page. As long as the modules are not too resource intensive then this might be ideal in your situation.

Take a look at http://www.jotcomponents.net/web-progra … tcache-5-1 and see if that could help you.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: