Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

MetaTemplate

MetaTemplate

So it seems to be a very usefull tool (I'm talking about MetaTemplate ), but only if you can use it properly.I'm not because i haven't found any information on this site nor  API documentation excluding few videos which concern MetaTemplatePro.
My simple question is: Is it possible if i have for instance two templates A and B to load one of them by the user's choice at the begining when the site loads using javascript window prompt or anithing else.

Thanks in advance

eboyanov
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: MetaTemplate

Hi eboyanov,
well, there is now documentation (from yesterday) on how to set up the MetaTemplate rules - but that's not going to help with your particular request.

MetaTemplate doesn't include any end-user interface elements. It doesn't include a module for the user to choose one of the installed templates, for example.

MetaTemplate *can* be used as the back-end for such a system though. So if you make a Javascript popup display that lists some templates, you could make hyperlinks from those images, back into your site. These hyperlinks could have "?template=XXXXX". Then MetaTemplate can pick up these URL parameters and use them to drive the rest of the session.

However, what you're asking for is actually very close to the functionality provided by modules such as Template Chooser, except that it appears in a module rather than as a Javascript popup. Perhaps you could take the source of Template Chooser and modify it to display in a popup rather than a module?

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you very much for your rapid answer Stephen,

metamodguy wrote:

MetaTemplate *can* be used as the back-end for such a system though. So if you make a Javascript popup display that lists some templates, you could make hyperlinks from those images, back into your site. These hyperlinks could have "?template=XXXXX". Then MetaTemplate can pick up these URL parameters and use them to drive the rest of the session.

that is the think i need and i understood it before putting my first post here.The only think i can't
understand which variable holds these URL parameters.Should i assign my own or there is an array or somethig like an instance of object that keeps such things.There is a block with help info about few variables that we can acces on the page for rules configuration, but i was not able to find somethig related to my problem.

Best regards and
Thank you

eboyanov
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Hi eboyanov,

in MetaTemplate Pro there's a text box that allows you to do substring searches of the URL, so you can check, for example, if the URL "ends with" "template=XXXXXX".

Alternatively, in the PHP box you can use the JRequest object, which picks up any URL parameter by name.

e.g.

$requested_template = JRequest::getVar("template");
if ($requested_template == "XXXXXX") return true;

If you do that, then the rule SUCCEEDS and you can set the template in the SUCCEED action, plus set a session variable etc to remember the decision for the future.

That's just a very simple example. There are a number of ways you can approach this, but I wanted to demonstrate using JRequest to get hold of URL parameters.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you Stephen,

but i think that i am a great idiot because it does not work for my case.
More accurately it works but only partly.At the begining when you load the page with the desired template in the URL "http://somehost.com/?template="XXXXXX"" it works perfectly as I expect, but when i try to follow the links in site template switches to another one which  correspond to the clause in the rule that return false.
That is

B.R.
Evgeni

eboyanov
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Hi Evgeni,

Please watch this YouTube video to find out how to make the selection "sticky" for the rest of the user's session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku8q9rJQGR8

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you very much Stephen,

I did it, finally, with your invaluable help and a little more effort it works perfect.

Thank you once again
Best regards
Evgeni

eboyanov
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics: