Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

How do I create a duplicate copy of installed template?

How do I create a duplicate copy of installed template?

Hello,
I just installed Meta Template and am trying to figure out two things:
1) How to make a duplicate copy of the Beez template.  (I want to use my current Beez template for certain articles and a modified Beez page for other articles.)

2) Once the copy is made, how to specify which articles I want to use which template?

Documentation says making a dup template is a 1-click process within rules but I do not see that anywhere.

Please advise,

Thanks.

cocoagirl
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: How do I create a duplicate copy of installed template?

Hi cocoagirl,

I didn't quite get to writing that page of documentation yesterday... the 1-click duplication can be done like this:

1- set up what name the new one will be called

- go onto the MetaMod configuration page
- click on the "Parameters" icon
- edit the "Suffix for duplicated templates". It defaults to "_new" which means that the duplicated template would be called "Beez_new", but you might want to change that.

2- do the duplication:

- edit any MetaTemplate rule
- look in the right column at the list of installed templates
- click on the "duplicate" icon next to any one of the templates
- in a couple of seconds you should see the new one show up in the list.

If you want to delete a template you can do this using the normal Joomla template manager.

In your second question, you asked how to specify which articles to use with the new template. Unfortunately Joomla doesn't quite make it as simple as this :-(

What I'd suggest would be to make 2 different "main" menus, each pointing to different articles.
Then, place one of the menus into the "left" position (the default for Beez), and assign the other one to "left2".
Then, in your Beez2 template, find the index.php file and edit it. Look for the following line:

<jdoc:include type="modules" name="left" style="beezDivision" headerLevel="3" />

change it to:
                <jdoc:include type="modules" name="left2" style="beezDivision" headerLevel="3" />

What happens now is that your second template doesn't have a "left" position - it has a "left2" position instead. So anything you want to go into that module position you just assign to "left2" instead of "left". In this way you can target which of the templates your modules will appear in. You can do the same for each of the other module positions too.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your reply.  I was able to make the duplicate.  But I am not using the 'Main Menu', I am using the Jumplink extension menu.  So I am trying to associate the articles within the Jumplink menu to the newly created template. Any ideas? 
Since the template manager is able to see the newly created template, the system should allow me to associate that template with an article...?

Thanks.

cocoagirl
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi cocoagirl,

The Jumplink module is just a module, like the mod_mainmenu module. Therefore you could make 2 Jumplink modules - one that will be used on 1 template, and one on the other template.

Here's the idea:
- hopefully Jumplink be set up to display links from a particular category. So you make one category that's going to be used on one template, and one category that will be used on the other
- then you make 2 jumplink modules, one that takes the links from the 1st category and the other from the other category
- then you assign one of the jumplink modules to module position "left" and the other to position "left2"
- then you make the small change to the index.php in the second Beez template, renaming the module position from "left" to "left2".

In this way, whenever the 2nd template is used, the "left2" module position will be active. Your Jumpmenu #2 is assigned to that position, and this picks up links from weblink category #2.

If it's using the 1st template, then the normal "left" module position will be active. Jumpmenu #1 is assigned to that, and picks up links from weblink category #1.

There's no other mechanism in Joomla to associate particular articles or weblinks or menu items with particular templates. So you have to find ways like this to "fake it". Having said that, it's quite an effective solution.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hello Again,
And again thanks for your help and knowledge;-)
I somewhat understand what you are saying but am still confused.
I am trying to set up two templates based on Beez (let's call them Beez1 and Beez2).  Both templates have 2 instances of the jumplink menu as well as a few other modules (weather, calendar).  The only difference is that Beez1 template will house the homepage (article 1)as well as a few additional modules that I don't want showing up on Beez2. 
Now Beez2 is the template that I want to use for all the rest of the articles on my site.

So there is no differentiation between article links, all links are to appear on all pages. The 2 jumplink modules each point to about 20 links (articles), again both present on both templates.  I just want to be able to point these 40 articles to open up in the Beez2 template (less additional modules), instead of Beez1 template (more modules).

Now that I hav created a dup module, you are saying that I can't assign the articles to open up in that Beez2 template..? ok..

That being said, based on the fact that both menu modules are to be on both templates, how else can I reference the two templates, specifically that I want all articles to open in Beez2?

I'm going around in circles and just can't pinpoint what needs to be done here...?..

Thanks

cocoagirl
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi cocoagirl,

Thanks for the additional information. Let's just clarify *exactly* what you want to happen, otherwise you're right, we're going around in circles.

What I understand so far:

1 - Beez1 will be used for front page of the site
2 - Beez2 will be used for the 40 different articles. These articles will ONLY ever be displayed with Beez2.
3 - what about any other pages on your site? e.g. is there a Contact Us page, Privacy Policy, or any other informational articles apart from the 40 articles in #2?

Looking at it this way, as long as the 40 articles only ever are displayed in Beez2, I would do it this way:

- set Beez2 as the default template
- make a basic PHP rule to identify the front page of Joomla, plus any other particular pages that you want to be displayed in Beez1.

Am I understanding this right? (if so, it's a lot easier than I thought)

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: