Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

a rule to use different template with IE browser not working

a rule to use different template with IE browser not working

I have set up a rule for my site to use a particular template with all internet explorer browsers in MetaTemplate Pro (newest version) but it isn't working. In the parameters, I did the following:

Details:  published but everything else set to off.
Quick Rules:  Ignore
Environment: under 'Browsers' selected internet explorer (all)
Menu Handling: include selected items and their children then highlighted the menu items
Content & Components: Ignore
Sections & Categories: selected the section and category
Components: ignore
Users & Groups - groups all
Succeed Actions: set template was chosen and everything else Ignore
- highlighted process next rule in chain
Fail Actions: all Ignore but highlighted process next rule in chain
That's it

Also, by the way, I do have the system plugin enabled and it is listed as number 1 in plugins. Also, I do have Metamod installed - it is enabled but shown as none as to pages. 

What is the fix for this?

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: a rule to use different template with IE browser not working

Hi chr001,

Do you want the entire site to use a different template on Explorer, or just selected pages etc?

To do a basic test to see if it's working, try disabling the rule you have at the moment, then create a brand new rule. In the new rule, select "internet explorer (all)" as you did in the 1st one, and in the SUCCEED action select the template you want to use for Explorer. Don't touch anything else for now.

If that doesn't work, then there's probably a bug... but if it does work, then you could add additional restrictions like which menu items or sections/categories/whatever should use the Explorer template.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Your suggestion does not work. What should I do now in order to get MetaTemplate Pro to use a particular template for internet explorer browsers?

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Contacting you via Private Message...

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Hi chr001,

there were three issues on your site:

1 - The MetaTemplate System plugin needs to be at, or close to the top of the list of System plugins. Normally the only thing that should be above it in the list is the sh404SEF or AceSEF plugin. By "above" in the list, I mean appearing first in the list (i.e. a smaller "order" number).

So on your site I've left the Component Access Permission plugin as first on the list, followed by AceSEF followed by MetaTemplate.

Now that this is in place, MetaTemplate can successfully get hold of the URL parameters, and determine which menu item is being displayed. That was the crux of the problem.

2 - In your MetaTemplate rule you were detecting both "Menu items" and also "Sections and categories". If you use more than one control in any MetaTemplate rule, then *all* conditions have to be satisfied in order for the rule to succeed. So it was looking for a combination of menu item and sections/categories, which may or may not have corresponded with one another.

To keep it simple, I changed it so to only detect menu items: the main "Health" menu item, and also the menu items from the other health menu. The selector box takes multiple selections if you hold down the ctrl key.

3 - The System Cache plugin doesn't play nicely with MetaTemplate, so I turned it off. Yes, this may cause a performance hit, unfortunately.
The problem is that the System Cache caches pages according to URL, irrespective of browser. Normally in Joomla this is fine, because 2 different people hitting the same URL would expect to see exactly the same content. However when you are doing browser detection, you can't assume that 2 people viewing the same URL should get the same content. So the only way to make this work is to turn off system caching.

As far as I can see, it's all working properly on your site now.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks a bunch Stephen, I'm so relieved. It works nicely. Great product!!!

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant: