Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Menu children links not showing

Menu children links not showing

The menu children items are not showing in the different template that I am using for a menu item on the default template.  How do I fix this?

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Menu children links not showing

Hi chr001,

I'm not 100% sure what part of the system you are looking at. If you are looking at the standard Joomla Template Manager, then using that you can only assign your secondary template to menu items - and all menu items on all of your menus should appear in the select list.

In MetaTemplate Pro, you get a different way of doing it. You should see the following box when you are creating or editing a MetaTemplate rule:

http://www.metamodpro.com/images/stories/mtp-misc/menusmenuitems.png

That box shows all the menus and menu items available on your site. You can select any one of them, or more than one if you hold down the CTRL key (Windows) or Cmd key (Mac) while clicking on items.

In order to automatically trigger the rule for all sub-menus of a particular menu, you can use the drop-down just above the list of menus and menu items:

http://www.metamodpro.com/images/stories/mtp-misc/menusmenuitemsexpanded.png

That allows the rule to do any of the following:

- accept only the menu items selected in the list
- select the menu items selected in the list and all of their children
- select the children of the menu items selected in the list, but not the selected items themselves
- the reverse of each of the possibilities above. (i.e. all items except for those ones).

Does that help?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

I appreciate your speedy response.  I am trying to use a totally different template (with different menu links) for one single menu item in my website.  In MetaTemplatePro, I had already selected the menu items and had chosen "include selected items and their children."  Everything worked well up until the point where user clicks on any of the menu items in the secondary template.  What happens is that user just sees the content but none of the menu links in the navigation bar. However, I figured out how to rectify that problem -- in the Joomla System, I hadn't selected each individual sub-menu item in the Module Manager for the new menu I had created to this different template. I had only selected the main menu item. 

These are the steps: (1)create new menu item and the sub-menu items in the menu manager, (2) create module for the new menu (3) in module manager - select the newly created menu item from the list under the menu assignment but also select the sub-menu items under your newly created menu.  So for instance, if a menu called 'Free Stuff' was created under the mainmenu along with sub-menu items under that menu --- be sure to select all of the sub-menu items as well in the Module Manager in order for the user to see ALL of the menu links in the different template being used. 

However, now the problem is that the 'Home' link in my different template is going to the newly created different template but I want it to go back to the home page of the default website.  In the Module Manger, I do not have that 'Home' link selected because I do not want to use the different template for that link.  In the Menu Manager, I selected Alias for this link and chose the 'Home' link for the mainmenu but it's not working.  Clicking on the link still brings up the different template instead of taking user back to the Home page of the default template.

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Oh,Oh, let's back up.  Actually, the MetaTemplatePro does not seem to work at my website.  What I mentioned before was working only because I had chosen the different template under 'Available Templates.'  But that changed my entire site to use the different template. 

All I want to do is use a different template and have all the sub-menu items on that different template work properly so that when user clicks on a menu link they will go to a page using the different template and will see the navigation bar for the different template - not for the default template.   There must be some php I need to use, right --- what is it?

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Hi Chr001 -- yes, the selection under "available templates" changes the site default. It's not actually related to the rules, per se.

I've just tested out the scenario that you mentioned 2 messages ago - with a brand new menu, some menu items on it, and one of those menu items an alias back to "Home".

So I highlighted the "Brand New Menu" in the menu selector (not its children, just the parent menu row), and used "include selected items" from the drop-down above it. Because I was highlighting the menu itself, "include selected items" actually applies to all the menu items on that menu.

Then, in the SUCCEED action I chose the alternative template to use for that menu.

Saved the rule... and it worked.

Is that what you did?

If you haven't already done so, you might find it helpful to watch the tutorial screencasts that I've put up on the MetaTemplate home page over the last week. I don't yet have a tutorial on dealing with menus, but you'll see the general process and some other ways to use it.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks, I was able to finally get the output that I was trying to achieve.  The problem was how I had things set up in the Joomla system.  In the templates manager, for the template that I had assigned for the menu item, I had only selected the top menu item under mainmenu but had not highlighted all of the sub-menu items under that new menu item.

So now user goes to the different template when clicking on a menu item in my default template.  At the different template, all of the menu items on that template are using that different template except the 'home' link which is set to go back to the default template.

chr001
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today: