Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Trouble with menu item wrapping using MetaModPro

Trouble with menu item wrapping using MetaModPro

Hi,

I am trying to get a menu item to display only when users are not logged in. I am using MetaModPro and have followed your instructions from previous  posts in the forum but cannot get the text on the menu to appear correctly. The overall functionality works -- the menu item does indeed only appear when a user is not logged in. However, the text wraps and goes below the menu display, and also is not clickable. I am using a yoothemes template and running the latest version of Joomla.

Here's how I've set it up:
mod_mainmenu >> separate menu item with only one item in menu >> menu assignment set to NONE, module DISABLED, title turned ON

mod_metamod >> menu assignment set to MENU, module ENABLED, title turned OFF

MetaMod debug info:
$option: com_community
$view: frontpage
$id:
$Itemid: 2
$timezone: default
$language: en-us
$language_code: en
$language_region: us
Non-logged-in users only; found non-logged-in user.
Including modules: 127

I am attaching screenshots.
http://polaris.umuc.edu/~ewethere/_temp/_metamodpro_menuissue.jpg
http://polaris.umuc.edu/~ewethere/_temp/_metamodpro_menuissue2.jpg
http://polaris.umuc.edu/~ewethere/_temp/_metamodpro_menuissue3.jpg

Thanks!
Lynn

lynn99
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Trouble with menu item wrapping using MetaModPro

Hi Lynn,

thanks for the comprehensive background info!

I would check a couple of things to start with:

1 - are you sure that the MetaMod Pro plugin is switched on (published), and that it's at the top of the list of system plugins?

1b - if it is switched on, then try disabling it and refreshing the front page to see if there's any difference in the HTML/CSS output. If you see changes occurring, then MetaMod Pro is definitely having an effect, and is doing what it's supposed to.

2 - what happens if you enable the original "Join the crew" menu module, and don't use MetaMod to include it? Do you get the same spacing issue? I just wonder that because it might be that your CSS is limiting the amount of horizontal space allocated to the entire module position - or, "Join the crew" may be too long to fit in the space. It would be helpful to take MetaMod/Pro out of the equation, just to satisfy yourself that your basic CSS/HTML is working right.

Can you try those, and post back with the results?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried the things you suggested. Here are my results:

1. Yes, the MetaMod Pro plugin is on and at the top of the list.

1b. I am using it for my Login/Logout modules, so the plugin is definitely working. When I disable it, the Login/Logout modules stop working (as expected) and the JOIN THE CREW menu item functionality does not work (as expected).

2. The issue with JOIN THE CREW wrapping still occurs no matter where it is in the menu. Additionally, I have discovered that when I only use the original module, I get the exact same problem – it still wraps. I have concluded that it is an issue with the YooTheme menu, not with metaMod. It (yootheme) apparently does not like the additional menu module if there is more than one word in the name, although it’s not a problem in the first menu module.

Argh!! Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I’ll have to play around with the yootheme menu to see if I can get it working. MetaMod did it’s part correctly…

Lynn

lynn99
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi Lynn - that's good to hear!

To stop the wrapping, you might be able to use a non-breaking space ( ) instead of a normal space in the menu item title. Also, there are ways to stop wrapping with CSS rules, so if you're comfortable with editing CSS on your template (or feeling brave) you could investigate the use of white-space: nowrap;

See http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#white-space

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: