Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Multiple instances of modules appearing after clicking search link

Multiple instances of modules appearing after clicking search link

Hi There,

Bit of a weird one here.

I upgraded to MetamodPro because I had problems with the reseved space. I'm using the mixxmagg rockettheme.

The upgrade went well and solved that reserved space problem, but I have a new one in it's place...Murphy's Law!

At first, I got lots of modules showing on the search results page when there should have been none -  fixed that with a conditional statement smile

The next problem was I've got 16 pages that have video tutorials on them on a membership site, with wacky names to stop people pre-guessing the link to the next lesson.

When I click on a "content" embedded link e.g.

http://www.mydomain.com/component/conte … 9302193mne it's  fine.

If I click on the search result to that page (which has the same link)

http://www.mydomain.com/component/conte … 9302193mne

Customers can search for modules that they have paid for (based on a test on user account age)

Trouble is I get lots of duplicate modules when I click on a search result link to invoke the article, like 3 lots of mod_logins which are not supposed to appear on that menu position at all, which didn't happen before the upgrade. There's about 16 unwanted modules on each video tutorial page ->EEK<-

I have tried other registered pages and there's no problem from search, just this one section/category seems to be poorly. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

Any ideas what to try to fix these duplicates?

Ta smile

thinklikeauser
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Multiple instances of modules appearing after clicking search link

thinklikeauser wrote:

When I click on a "content" embedded link e.g.

http://www.mydomain.com/component/conte … 9302193mne it's  fine.

If I click on the search result to that page (which has the same link)

http://www.mydomain.com/component/conte … 9302193mne

Customers can search for modules that they have paid for (based on a test on user account age)

What's the actual problem here? Is it just that people can search for stuff and you wish they couldn't? Or are you saying that the page appears different depending on where you follow the link from, even though the URL is the same both times? That would be very weird, unless your MetaMod rule has something in it about the HTTP referrer...

thinklikeauser wrote:

Trouble is I get lots of duplicate modules when I click on a search result link to invoke the article, like 3 lots of mod_logins which are not supposed to appear on that menu position at all, which didn't happen before the upgrade. There's about 16 unwanted modules on each video tutorial page ->EEK<-

I have tried other registered pages and there's no problem from search, just this one section/category seems to be poorly. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

Any ideas what to try to fix these duplicates?

That definitely is strange. Can you please post the PHP recipes that you are using, and also tell me what versions of MetaMod and MetaMod Pro you are using?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Yes, if I click on an inline hyperlink to the article I don't get the extra modules showing.

When I click on the link for the article from the joomla search results listing, I get the extra modules.

The URL is identical for both links....hmmm..but there are these different behaviours.

The only difference for these pages compared with any others on the site is that the alias doesn't match the article title (plus dashes).

I've just disabled the pro module and removed any conditions. I'm about to start re-applying it and turning the modules on one at a time - there were are about 30 and it was tricky to isolate any issues when they were all fighting together smile -  so code snippets will take a little longer....

Cheers

thinklikeauser
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

OK here's an example:

Conditional code for my frontpage promo which is mod_custom:

if (

$option == 'com_content'
and $view == 'frontpage'
) return 147;

This works fine on the guest homepage.

But it is appearing on a page with this debug info..

if (
$option == 'article'
and $id == '91:3hsoihf398hd83hjdHKSD'
and $itemID == NULL
)

return xxx;

Also, the home promo is set to only appear to not logged in users (via the radio button), but is appearing on a logged in user account...

I'm confuddled smile

I am wondering if it is a mixxmagg issue and the template is doing something weird, but the problems are less acute with the basic metamod - so I am doubly confuddled smile

thinklikeauser
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

Not sure if it's relevant, but I was getting "the system is busy do you want to stop this script" errors as well and some errors like this

"internet explorer cannot open the site xyz.com
operation aborted "

I disabled the metamodpro plugin and it works fine, no scripting errors, no duplication, but the bald spots are back in my template.

Weird, it's difficult to determine some hard and fast rules that consistently apply! It seems a bit random....

I have a ninjacontent module on metamod and it's fine. The mod_custom ones seem to most affected??

thinklikeauser
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

I've decided to go back to metamod basic and fix the root cause of my problem.

I wanted to add a mod_login to a custom page I have to help people if their login fails.

I have an extension that redirects the failed user to an article (which isn't on a menu), and I think this is where the problem is creeping in. I can only get the mod_login to appear if I set the menus to "all", and then I get the blanks on the other pages, even though I have added a condition to test for my specific login help article parameters.

I can load the mod_login within the login help article as a workaround smile so it's OK with me to end this thread.

thinklikeauser
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

HI thinklikeauser,

I just had an idea - do you have the System Cache Plugin enabled in the Plugin Manager? If so, try turning it off and see if that helps MetaMod and MetaMod Pro to work better.

Another MetaMod user had this problem last week - the system cache was causing very confusing problems, because it was remembering old versions of the MetaMod code. This could be happening to you too.

I'm also intrigued by this output that you are getting:

if (
$option == 'article'
and $id == '91:3hsoihf398hd83hjdHKSD'
and $itemID == NULL
)
return xxx;

The strange thing about it is that $option should always contain something beginning with "com_", but in your case it has been changed by some other component or part of the system to plain "article" (unless what you wrote in your post wasn't what came directly off the debug output).
And was the $id value really what you quoted above?
If you don't mind me asking, what other main components/systems/plugins are you using in Joomla? e.g. any CCK systems or SEF URL things or interesting plugins...

I'd be interested in getting to the bottom of the problem, but I understand if you just want to move on...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: