Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Menu position for each category and all of it's child categories in VM

Menu position for each category and all of it's child categories in VM

Hi,

I need a recipe for positioning a different menu for each category in virtuemart and all of the child categories under it
for example

- Cat1
- - Cat1.1
- - Cat1.2
- - Cat1.3
- - - Cat1.3.1
- - - Cat1.3.2
- Cat2
- - Cat2.1
- - Cat2.2
- - Cat2.3
- - - Cat2.3.1
- - - Cat2.3.2

I need to assign a menu for each first level category that will appear on it and also on all of it's child categories (sub-categories)

Please help

masterde
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Menu position for each category and all of it's child categories in VM

Hi Masterde,

hmm, that's a good question. I was going to suggest this page but realised that that page is for article categories, not VM categories.

The biggest danger with this recipe is having to do too many database calls if the product is nested too deep in categories.

Can you tell me if there's a maximum depth of categories that you will be using? In the example above there are 3 levels. I can probably make a database query that can search 3 levels deep all in one query - or more, if I know what the maximum depth is going to be. So can you tell me the maximum depth?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Ok, here's a very cool recipe with a maximum depth of 5. This recipe finds the category id of the top-level category (or categories) that this product has been assigned to. Then at the bottom of the recipe, you put in your own checks for particular top-level category ids, then return appropriate module ids for them.

There's just 1 "gotcha" - if your product is in more than 1 top category, then the way this recipe is set up, you'll only get the module(s) corresponding to that first category detected. I hope that's not a problem.

Code:

/* this top section does a lookup if you are on a product details page. */

/* you can delete this section if you don't want the modules on product details pages. */
if ($option == "com_virtuemart" and JRequest::getVar("page") == "shop.product_details" ) {
  $product_id = JRequest::getInt("product_id");
  $query = "select distinct
    coalesce(
    cx5.category_child_id,
    cx4.category_child_id,
    cx3.category_child_id,
    cx2.category_child_id,
    cx1.category_child_id )
    from #__vm_product_category_xref pcx
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx1 on pcx.category_id = cx1.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx2 on cx1.category_parent_id = cx2.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx3 on cx2.category_parent_id = cx3.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx4 on cx3.category_parent_id = cx4.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx5 on cx4.category_parent_id = cx5.category_child_id
    where pcx.product_id = $product_id";

$db->setQuery( $query );
    $res = $db->loadResultArray();
  }
/* end of product details page section */

if ($option == "com_virtuemart" and JRequest::getVar("page") != "shop.product_details" ) {
  $category_id = JRequest::getInt("category_id");
  if ($category_id > 0) {
    coalesce(
    cx5.category_child_id,
    cx4.category_child_id,
    cx3.category_child_id,
    cx2.category_child_id,
    cx1.category_child_id )
    from  #__vm_category_xref cx1
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx2 on cx1.category_parent_id = cx2.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx3 on cx2.category_parent_id = cx3.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx4 on cx3.category_parent_id = cx4.category_child_id
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx5 on cx4.category_parent_id = cx5.category_child_id
    where cx1.category_child_id = $category_id";

$db->setQuery( $query );
    $res = $db->loadResultArray();
  }
}
/* here's where to customise the rules */
if ( is_array($res) and count($res) > 0 ) {
  /* replace VVV, WWW, XXX, YYY etc with the module ids to return for each top-level category */
  if ( in_array(2,$res) ) return VVV; /* module id VVV for top-level cat 2 */
  if ( in_array(3,$res) ) return WWW;
  if ( in_array(4,$res) ) return XXX;
  if ( in_array(5,$res) ) return YYY;
}

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Dear Stephen Brandon,

Thank you for you efforts It's exactly as I wanted it, but I have something else to ask you

Can you please give me a recipe that does the same thing but not for a top-level category for a mid-level category

What I want is to show a banner for a sub-category and for all sub-categories and products under it.

Thanks in advance
A Fan of MetaMod Pro and The Team Behind It

masterde
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Is it just a particular category that you want to target, or do you have several different categories that might need a different banner for each one?

There are several ways of setting this up and I'm just thinking of the most appropriate way to do it.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Ok I just went ahead with this anyway - I think this is going to suit. Can you let me know if it works for you?

It should detect if the stated category ids appear in the list of "parents" for the given product or category. Like the last one, it can check up to 5 levels deep.

Code:

/* this top section does a lookup if you are on a product details page. */ 

/* you can delete this section if you don't want the modules on product details pages. */
if ($option == "com_virtuemart" and JRequest::getVar("page") == "shop.product_details" ) {
  $product_id = JRequest::getInt("product_id");
    cx5.category_child_id as c5,
    cx4.category_child_id as c4,
    cx3.category_child_id as c3,
    cx2.category_child_id as c2,
    cx1.category_child_id as c1
    from #__vm_product_category_xref pcx
    left outer join #__vm_category_xref cx1 on pcx.category_id = cx1.category_child_id
    where pcx.product_id = $product_id";

$db->setQuery( $query );
    $res = $db->loadRowList();
  }
/* end of product details page section */

if ($option == "com_virtuemart" and JRequest::getVar("page") != "shop.product_details" ) {
  $category_id = JRequest::getInt("category_id");
  if ($category_id > 0) {
    cx5.category_child_id as c5,
    cx4.category_child_id as c4,
    cx3.category_child_id as c3,
    cx2.category_child_id as c2,
    cx1.category_child_id as c1
    from  #__vm_category_xref cx1
    where cx1.category_child_id = $category_id";

$db->setQuery( $query );
    $res = $db->loadRowList();
  }
}
/* here's where to customise the rules */
if ( is_array($res) and count($res) > 0 ) {
  foreach ($res as $r) {
    /* replace VVV, WWW, XXX, YYY etc with the module ids to return for each category */
    if ( in_array(2,$r) ) return VVV; /* module id VVV for top-level cat 2 */
    if ( in_array(3,$r) ) return WWW;
    if ( in_array(4,$r) ) return XXX;
    if ( in_array(5,$r) ) return YYY;
  }
}

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

That last recipe you gave is what I've been trying to find. But I don't know which part to replace with my virtuemart category id. Your clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

touchdowntech
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi Touchdowntech,

this thread is quite old, and lots of that code is now integrated into JomGenius. In particular JomGenius has a parameter called "ancestor_category_ids" that contains all the category ids of the parent, grandparent etc categories for the current item (or the current category if you are on a category page).

So you can do things like this:

$vm = JomGenius("virtuemart");
if ($vm->check("ancestor_category_ids = 5")) return XXX;
// replace XXX with module id to display

That code snippet will display the module if the current product (or category) has a parent, grandparent etc that is category "5". In other words, ALL categories and ALL products "beneath" category 5 will have the module displayed on them.

Is that what you are after?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: