Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

A/B testing

A/B testing

Hi,
I want to AB test 2 things
1) Site Font
2) Site CSS
How can I use chameleon to conduct the test?
How can I track the results of the 2 test via Analytics?
Read through the documents but not much help
Please guide

developerguru99
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: A/B testing

Hi,

Went through http://www.metamodpro.com/forums/topic?id=1005
But the post was made 5 years back and I assume much of the UI has changed since then.
I cannot locate where to set
Rule 1: detect permanent cookie A. If found, send people to page 1
Rule 2: detect permanent cookie B. If found, send people to page 2
Rule 3: detect random probability of 50%. If found, set cookie A and send

I do not see an option to do so.
Please help

developerguru99
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. Yes, the interface has changed a little but the core functions are the same and I'd set things up in the same way (pretty much!).

Rule 1: detect permanent cookie A. If found, use the Succeed Action tools to add/change CSS include files, add CSS code to the HEAD section of the page, and/or use the HTML Find/Replace tools to manipulate existing CSS on the page. Then "quit rule chain".
(Fail action: continue to next rule)
Rule 2: detect permanent cookie B. If found, you can manipulate the CSS etc if you want to (like in rule 1), but you will probably want to use this as your "default" setting and just leave everything as it is. Then "quit rule chain".
(Fail action: continue to next rule)

Rule 3: detect random probability of 50%. If found, set cookie A, and do all the same CSS manipulations as in rule 1.
Fail action: set cookie B and do any CSS manipulation you did in rule 2.

So what happens is that the 1st time someone visits the site, rules 1 and 2 fail because neither of the cookies are set. So it gets to rule 3 which then flips a coin and sets either cookie A or B, and changes the CSS for your page.

On the next page load, either rule 1 or rule 2 will succeed because of the cookie, so the same manipulation will happen on subsequent page loads. Because in rule 1 and 2 in the Succeed action you "quit rule chain", it won't ever hit rule 3 again as long as it found one of those cookies.

Tracking the results in Analytics:
I'm not an expert on this but I take it that there are some JS snippets that you can add to Analytics code in the HEAD of your page in order to tell GA that something happened. If this is some stand-alone JS then you can add this to the page using the "HTML head include" box, or you could manipulate existing GA JavaScript using the Find and Replace actions.

If you need some help on the latter point I am sure I can look it up and give you some more advice.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Please check my private message

developerguru99
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts