Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Here's interesting for passing Affiliate IDs from parked domains.

Here's interesting for passing Affiliate IDs from parked domains.

OK. Nothing wrong with Chameleon but thinking outside the box here.

We have a mother site that is quite happy to accept affiliate ids - (Affiliate tracker) and record transactions for the mother site. Affiliate Tracker ignores parked domains even with affiliate ids. Guess that's not all that surprising but, if a client (like me) wants to track affiliate sales from a parked domain that I have either given to an affiliate or sold to them, then how will I achieve that?
I'm sure that there are a lot of affiliate marketing people out there who would consider this to be a "God Send".
Give your affiliates their own Pseudo site and still track their commission. Others seem to do it, why not us?
Maybe it can be done already?  If not then I will leave you to contemplate, cogitate and fester on it.
Stephen, Have a blessed night and look forward to you being back, online, 100% soon

Thanks,

Ian C

ianc
Doctor or so they tell me
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
18 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Here's interesting for passing Affiliate IDs from parked domains.

Hi Ian,

Ok, just trying to understand what you're saying here:
- you have Affiliate Tracker on a site
- if an affiliate sends traffic to your site, presumably the URL has an affiliate ID in the URL. AffiliateTracker takes a note of this and logs any sales (e.g. in VirtueMart) against an account for that affiliate.
- however, AffiliateTracker has no idea about the fact that parked domains are being used so basically treats them as all being the same domain
- What you are wanting (or thinking about) is making Affiliate Tracker to be multi-site aware, such that you could resell subdomains like site1.example.com and site2.example.com. Each subdomain (or parked domain with totally unrelated name) would have its own database of affiliates and be able to track them separately, even though it's all 1 single Joomla installation.

Ok so the bad news is that Chameleon isn't going to solve this for you, almost guaranteed. Affiliate Tracker is going to need to become multi-site aware. This would affect not only logging affiliate codes against the domain name that the URL came in on, but would need to implement some sort of access controls so that each affiliate can access and view only their "own" data. This is surely a job for the A.T. people to solve.

Sorry about that!

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Have a great day,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Re: Here's interesting for passing Affiliate IDs from parked domains.

That, Stephen, is the conclusion I arrived at. You are just about spot on with your analysis. You could run Affiliate tracker from a single database but the problem is getting it to recognize the parked domains. If the url isn't the main site it gets totally ignored as that seems to be the only thing it looks for in the host header.

Multi step development is always a pain when you get 70% of the project working only to find that the next step doesn't work. Ah! Well! back to the drawing board. This is not going to beat me. There must be away.

Don't you just love complex systems development.

Grateful for your comments.

Thanks,

Ian C

ianc
Doctor or so they tell me
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
18 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info