Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Blank page error 500 after installing Metamod Pro

Blank page error 500 after installing Metamod Pro

Hello,

I have just purchased MetaMod Pro 3.27 but after the installation my website started to display error 500 intermittently. I asked my hosting provider and they told me that there was a plugin consuming an excess of resources. I disabled Metamod's plugin  and everything went back to normal.

I use Metamod to display Virtuemart's product module in Product details.

Would you be so kind to help me with this, please?

I have J2.5 and VM 2.6

Regards.

Bcall
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Blank page error 500 after installing Metamod Pro

Hi Bcall,

Thanks for getting in touch and I am sorry to hear that the plugin is causing problems.
For a start, it's important and good that you can isolate that it is actually the plugin that causes the problem. Can you tell me, when the plugin is activated but the site still works (i.e. in those times when you don't get the 500 error), do the pages seem to load any slower than normal?

What I want to try to ascertain is whether the increased use of resources is intermittent, or whether the increased use of resources is relatively constant but only sometimes is high enough to trigger the server error.

If the increased use of resources is constantly high, obviously we want to isolate what's going on, and that can be quite difficult. One way is for me to be able to download a copy of your site with an Akeeba Backup, then I can run it locally with additional PHP profiling diagnostics to see which objects/functions are taking so much time. Please let me know if you would be willing to do this.

Another possibility I can think of is that because MetaMod Pro (the Pro plugin) disables the module caching mechanism in Joomla 2.5, there may be other modules on your site that are consuming large amounts of resources on every page load, whereas without the Pro plugin there is caching going on which reduces the load. Are there any other modules on your site that you think may be doing this? 3rd-party VM modules may have potential for this sort of thing if their database queries are not so efficient and/or you have a large VM database.

PS I am currently travelling internationally and may not be able to respond very quickly in the next 10 days, but I will try to help whenever I have good connectivity and a little time. Thanks for your understanding.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hello Stephen, thank you so much for your reply.

When the plugin is activated and the site still works, the pages seem to load slightly slower. When error 500 triggers, the website goes back to working normally when the plugin is deactivated . Also, I'm not sure if it is relevant, but i have a large database (about 230 mb)

I'd really appreciate if you could look into this. Please, let me know if you need access to my website.

Regards.

Bcall
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Hi Bcall,

Before I log in to your site or try to download a copy of it to diagnose the issue locally, could you please try something for me?
Could you try switching off as many modules as possible apart from the ones that the MetaMod is controlling? (and the MetaMods as well, of course they need to be on).
Don't forget to keep a note of which modules you have switched off, so you can switch them all on again later.
Then run the site again and see if you still get 500 errors.

The reason for this test is that I suspect that there are some modules on the site that are "heavy" on the database and are relying on caching, so as to not overload the server. Because MetaMod Pro switches off the caching, this would cause these other modules to overload things.

Of course it's also possible that the offending modules might be the ones that MetaMod is controlling -- in which case, you can try getting the MetaMod to switch on and off a very basic module like an HTML module.

If you find that switching off these other modules actually makes MetaMod work properly without the errors, then that strongly suggests that it's a caching issue. If you can isolate which modules are causing the issues then that would be helpful. But even if you can't, but can confirm that switching them all off makes a difference, then I'll look at whether I can put in a control to re-institute the caching. I'd also need to be certain that this would not cause MetaMod to fail, so there might need to be some trial and error to see if it really works.

Over to you for now,
Best regards
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hello Stephen,

You are right, there's an extension that's got a few modules with heavy use of resources. Once these are disabled, the website works perfectly with Metamod Pro on. My problem is that i need both, this extension and Metamod Pro, to run at the same time.

How can I do this?

Thanks

Bcall
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls: