Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Potential buyer questions

Potential buyer questions

Hello,

the vm forums recommend your product to help with using more than one template. 

Are there any other plugins you know of issues with?   

There are not a lot of posts - is your product brand new?

Can I have a view at instructions prior to purchasing?   I want to make sure this is what I need and I'll be able to get it to work.

You offer the opportunity to use different templates for mobile devices - do you have instructions to detect device with vm/joomla?

what part of the world are you in?  (asking to determine what times of day your available to deal with forum questions)

ummmm.   I may think of some other things shortly,  I just noticed you were online this evening, so hoping you might give me an idea of how well this is working.

Thanks!

Edited By: AngelinaC
16-Mar-10 02:36:33

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Potential buyer questions

At the moment all I need to do is have a differnet front page than the rest of the site - this, as you know crumbles through the checkout.

If I can overcome this - WONDERFUL!!

But, if you also offer me delightful new options - mores the better.  I can learn the rest when I get it.

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Hi Angelina,

MetaTemplate (& Pro) are fairly new products, hence the smaller number of posts. I've been trying to find the time to do some screencasts, but haven't found the time yet. It's very high on the list of priorities though. Like you, many other people want to see the products in action before purchase. It's understandable.

We've had a couple of reports of clashes with other plugins, but so far we've been able to work around every issue. e.g. for sh404SEF, it was just a matter of shuffling the order of the plugins, and it works fine after that. I have a site in production with JoomFish and MetaTemplate Pro, so that's fine too, and on this site I have MetaTemplate installed with VirtueMart, and there are no conflicts (actually I'm not using it to switch templates on this site, but it is installed and has been tested to work).

The device support in MetaTemplate Pro covers:
Safari
Opera
iPhone
all IE
IE <= 6
IE 7
IE 8
Firefox
Chrome
mobile (any mobile device, taken from a very big list of current devices)

If there are particular mobile devices you want to detect explicitly, ask about it and I can either give you a PHP recipe for it, or add it to the interface in a new release.

The device detection is independent of any particular component, so it works just as well in VirtueMart as in normal content articles, for example. All that happens is that MetaTemplate Pro detects the device, and switches to the alternative template, then the rest of Joomla simply uses that template as if it had been set by default.

At this time I have not built in any rules to detect particular VM pages. All this means is that the rules for VM pages have to be coded in a snippet of PHP and pasted into the PHP box of a rule in the MetaTemplate Pro rule chain. The PHP required is mostly not too complex, and will be based on code already available for MetaMod on this site. MetaMod and MetaTemplate/Pro are very similar in this respect.

If you want to reply with some more info about what you want to achieve with VM and multi-templates, then I'll explain how I would go about setting it up. That will have to stand in for further documentation at this point (sorry!).

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Angelina,

you say you want a different template for the front page - well there's a very special bugfix built in to MetaTemplate (both the free and Pro versions) that can probably fix that for you. It fixes a bug in VirtueMart, and allows you to assign different modules, or a different template to just the front page, and it works even on checkout pages in VM.

Simply install MetaTemplate - no other config necessary. Then try setting up your templates as usual, with a default template for the whole site, and a special one assigned to just the front page, all using the normal Joomla Template Manager.

Let me know if that works or not... I know it works for modules, but I can't remember off hand if it works for templates as well. I seem to remember it does.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

The real site is live - so I test everything on a dupe install first; are there any license issues to do this? 

What's up with that, do I buy for each site?

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Hi Angelina - the licensing conditions for MetaTemplate are very relaxed (GPL) - you can install it on as many sites as you like.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

I'm getting errors.  I'm going to try to install on the live site and see, the situation at this point is that since SSL is all setup, to backup and create a trial site is a lot of work. 

It didn't crash the test site just installing...

download email has two links - this is the new and an older version correct:

Pro1-3c

Pro1-4

I don't need to install both these?

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Looks like it might just be working!!!  I'm not finished checking it out, but so far so good!   That would be awesome!

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Sorry there are 2 links... VirtueMart isn't great at selling downloads... just install the latest one (1.4).

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

eek, don't tell me that about vm! 

well - gotta love a plugin/module you don't have to configure.

How does this work if you don't have to tell it anything?

Would that be a trade secret?

AngelinaC
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
26 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: