Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Redirection for countries

Redirection for countries

Hi! I did redirection from all En pages on Ru, and placed this module on all pages my site/en/
I use GeoIP with countries box there.

Code:

$app = &JFactory::getApplication();

$app->redirect("http://my site/ru");

So my question is - How does google bot and other bots will index my site? Does ip manipulations affect it?  Could it affect some problems?

And the second question - How can I go to En pages for myself? Because it redirects me too wink

Igor_77
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Redirection for countries

Hi Igor,
you ask a good question about Google indexing.
I suggest that you modify the code slightly so that bots will not be redirected. However, strictly speaking this means that googlebot and browsers will receive different treatment, and Google doesn't really like this.

To modify the code you could do this using MetaMod's browser/bot detection:

if (! $core_genius->check("browseros = bot")) {
  $app->redirect("http://my site/ru");
}

What you actually need to work out is what you want the bots to index. They can only index 1 result per URL.

Let's say all your EN content is under site.com/en and the RU content is under mysite.com/ru
And I assume you are simply pushing people from one to the other based on their browser language?
e.g. people who are viewing mysite.com/en with their browser set up as RU get redirected to mysite.com/ru instead.

So I am not sure if the google bot has a "language", so perhaps it won't even get redirected. But it would be safer to explicitly exclude bots from any redirection, just in case.

If you want to view different pages yourself, you could use a browser like Firefox that allows you to set up which languages it tells to the web site.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

metamodguy wrote:

And I assume you are simply pushing people from one to the other based on their browser language?

No, I just used redirection by IP (if some country from CIS - It redirects to mysite.com/ru), but now I want to change it, because it shouldn't be so. As you say, language should be in priority.
The matter of my trouble - is that original joomla plugin send people on english version, while they have not set preffered language in browser, but they are from CIS, or vise versa when they are from USA for example. In same moment I dont want to show "language button" on my site.
Lets see example of mistakes that I get:
1. someone want to go to my site directly and it detects not right language, or no language at all.
2. someone from CIS try to find my site in google by english (so now it will redirect on ru version, but it not good).

So, what should I do? Thanks!

Igor_77
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Hi Igor,
Happy New Year. Just wanted to know if you still want assistance with this issue? If so please let me know and I will look into this with you.
Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Hi! I'm sorry, I didn't see your reply)
I use your php code for IP redirection:

$app->redirect("http://a-r-c-h.net/ru/");

I had some problems with IP redirection. It doesn't allow google bots to go on the page, as I wrote earlier. IP redirection was "on" on my EN version, and google showed my website in the search for 1-2 times in a day, and after I made it "off" - 3monthes later - 50 times in a day.

Now I want to use it again. So I will test how language based redirection works on google.  But can you help me to redirect user on the page with same content? Like on the menu item or article that is in Association with menu item or article where user was before redirection? (not only main page - http://a-r-c-h.net/ru/)

Igor_77
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

And one more question - if I'd like to redirect people from CIS counties on RU language, so what option should I use?
$language handling by Browsers? I saw that some times people dont use language on theirs browsers (specially on iphones and some mobile browsers) - so this people will go on EN site instead RU

Thanks!

Igor_77
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

And one more thing - can I exclude myself from metamod rules?

Igor_77
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week: