Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

update via Joomla update system?

update via Joomla update system?

MetaMod is a must-have for any serious Joomla admin.  For that reason I use it on almost all of my sites.  I would like to request that we can update the extension via Joomla update when there's a new version.  For one, I use Watchful.li so it'd be nice to do this from one location on all my sites, but it's also important to keep all of your extensions up to date so you don't get hacked.  For these reasons, I'd like to request update via Joomla update.  I think you'd have to have a download-id field in options so it can know you have a valid purchase though, but a lot of extensions do this now.  Thanks.

thepiston
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
29 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: update via Joomla update system?

Hi thepiston,

I agree this is an important feature and would be very useful.
Can you point me to any more information about the download id field and how that works with the update version system in Joomla?

Thanks
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

I wish I knew how.  Here's what I can tell you: some extensions use a unique field in either the extensions global config area or a special plugin where you input this unique ID.  I assume the unique ID is compared against your database to see if the license is valid and if it is, the update goes through.

Yootheme uses the special plugin - it has one field for your ID and that's it
EventBooking from Joomdonation uses the ID field in their config area
JCE uses a field in global config
RSfirewall uses a field in global config

You can maybe try to ask one of those teams about it, but I'm of little help in that arena sorry to say.

thepiston
Junior Modder
ranks
useravatar
29 Posts

Hey thanks for the hints. I was hoping that there might be some method that fits in with the standard Joomla update mechanism but I think what you're saying is that these components actually have their own update mechanism independent of the Joomla one.
I've implemented the basic Joomla mechanism for Chameleon but because of the need to log in, it won't allow you to auto-update. I trust it's still useful to be alerted that there's a new version available though. In the next update I'll do the same for MetaMod and MetaMod Pro.

Thanks again for your help.
Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info: