Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

IPV6 addresses

IPV6 addresses

Hi
I just noticed that some components of my website (e.g. extrawatch) are not able to detect countries of addresses in IPV6 format.

I was wondering how Metamod behaves. Is it able to understand correctly what to display?
Thanks for your help

nick2011
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: IPV6 addresses

Hi Nick,

unfortunately the version of the MaxMind GeoIP databases that MetaMod currently uses don't detect IPv6 addresses. I have been doing some work on integrating the newer MaxMind databases that can handle IPv6 but it's not ready yet. So unfortunately MetaMod won't be able to help you just yet (should be by the end of September).

In answer to your question about how MetaMod decodes what to display: if you want to use the GeoIP detection, in very simple cases you can enter the 2-letter country code for the country you want to see a particular module, plus the module ID, and MetaMod will display that module for visitors from that country.

In a slightly more advanced scenario you might want to display different modules for different countries. In that case, you can enter the following PHP code into the box in MetaMod:

switch ($fromCountryId) {
case 'NZ': return 123;
case 'AU': return 124;
case 'GB': return 125;
default: return 126;
}

... or any sort of variant of that. MetaMod will calculate the $fromCountryId variable using the MaxMind databases.

I hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen
any news on the version supporting IPv6?
Thanks for your support

nick2011
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

Yes, good news, I have just published this. It's v2.63 and downloadable from this site for registered users.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen
Thanks for your reply.

Is the new version only available to customers, or is it downloadable for everyone?

nick2011
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

Hi,

just for customers - free update.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: