Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

How to set a default page?

How to set a default page?

I have content that varies by a region selected on our homepage.  I am wondering how to best set Chameleon up and my Joomla setup to default the best.

What I have tried:
Setting up 3 different articles
Setup 3 different menu items linking to each article mentioned above.
Then I have Chameleon detect the region based on user selection on a dropdown.
Then I have Chameleon hide 2 of the menu items.   Showing only the relevant menu item that is needed for that region.
--The problem in this setup is if a person comes in via a search engine, then all 3 menu items appear.

Any suggestions?
-?Should I try and set a popup of sometype if a cookie isn't detected that then would hide the correct menu items?
-Or is there someway to have just 1 menu item published and then use the php code in the action area to publish menu items?  Is there a way to publish menu items and not just unpublish?

Thanks!!

zesgar
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: How to set a default page?

Hi zesgar,

Overall I think you're on the right track in your approach. I think the next refinements need to be based on tracking exactly what's happening when people get to your pages via Google.

Functionally there shouldn't be much difference between unpublishing menu items, and publishing unpublished ones. It's just the reverse process and can usually be done by reversing the logic of the rules. Admittedly sometimes that can make your head spin!

So down to specifics in your case:

When you say that all menu items are showing when people come in from search engines, is that on the 3 article pages or on the front/index page that links to them?
If it's on the front page, then is there a difference between what shows when people type in your site URL manually, compared to when they arrive via the search engine?
If it's on the article pages themselves then it's a matter of working on the logic. Perhaps you can add another rule for each of those pages that says "if we're on THIS page, then remove X, Z menu items". This may be different from the logic you're using for detecting the user's choice (perhaps you are using session variables for that?).

Anyway that's an idea for you. If you can be more specific about what's actually happening on which page then I may be able to advise more.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you so much that worked.

zesgar
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Great, thanks for reporting back.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: