Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

[solved] Blank Page upon activation of custom rules

[solved] Blank Page upon activation of custom rules

Hello,

In need of some assistance with using Chameleon. We have a fresh install of Chameleon but upon publishing a new rule and going to our website, it'll load a blank page. Unpublishing it will fix the problem. If we Publish one of the examples, the site works fine but creating a new rule and copying the same settings as the example will still give a blank page.

We are using Joomla! 3.4.8 and Chameleon 2.49. sh404sef is used as well and I've made sure the ordering is set to -99 for shs404 and -90 for Chameleon.

Not sure what additional information we can provide to find out the problem, if there's anything you need please let us know.

Thanks!

aquatherm
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: [solved] Blank Page upon activation of custom rules

Hi Aquatherm,

Ok that does not sound very good! There's definitely a problem there.

Could I suggest 2 things:

1 - To narrow it down, is it possible for you to temporarily turn off Sh404SEF and see if those same rules still cause the blank screen? It would be interesting to know if it's an incompatibility with your version of sh404SEF.

2 - Please go into the Global Configuration, Server tab, and set the Error Reporting to Maximum. Then try again to use a Chameleon rule. Hopefully this time you will get a PHP error message on the screen. If you get this, can you please paste the error message here?

Thanks,
Stephen

ps I would also like to be able to test your version of sh404SEF on my test server - I'll send you a PM about this

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,

Thanks for the response.

1. I disabled the sh404SEF - System plugin and enabled a Chameleon rule - unfortunately same result, just a blank page.

2. Error Reporting was already set to Maximum. I tried to switch between that and Development to see if it would generate any different results, but no error message.

Thanks,

Aquatherm

aquatherm
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hi Aquatherm,

I've just been doing some testing, with J348, Chameleon 2.49 and sh404SEF. I have not been able to reproduce the crash you are having. From your previous post it actually appears that it's not a sh404SEF incompatibility, as there's a crash even with sh404SEF switched off (assuming that switching off that plugin completely disables sh404SEF – it's possible that one of the other sh404SEF plugins could be involved, e.g. shlib, or the sh404sef System mobile template switcher).

What other extensions are you using? I'd be happy to log in to your site to cast my eyes over it if you like. Just e-mail me some superadmin login details.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Just a thought - is there any chance you can update the version of PHP you are using? Sometimes in cPanel you will get the option of several versions. I have found in the past that with these bad PHP crashes (that don't leave error messages), changing the version can miraculously fix it. What version of PHP are you on at the moment?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,

We still have problem with this issue and have set up an account for you to access our site to see if something can be worked out.
Will PM you the details.

The PHP version we're on atm is 5.6.16

aquatherm
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hi Aquatherm,

I found the bug, fixed it, and installed the new version on your web site.
The bug was very obscure and I conclude that it may be to do with the particular version of PHP you are using, as I haven't seen it happen ever before.

Anyway, it's fixed in Chameleon 2.56.

Please let me know if you have any further issues.
Thank you for your patience in getting this fixed.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,

Thank you so much for the help.

It's finally working right and we have it all set up properly for what we needed.

Thanks!
Aquatherm

aquatherm
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls: