Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Template Pro doesn't work

Template Pro doesn't work

Hi,

I installed MetaTemplate Pro and no matter what rules I define it just doesn't do anything. I might be missing something but I can't by the life of me figure out what. Do I need to put in some php code to make this work, or is it because I use custom made templates, saw a post that had issues with this, but couldn't find an answer to it.

I just want to be able to have a different template for different categories and it seems pretty straight forward, but apparently it isn't.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

webmax
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Template Pro doesn't work

Hi Max,

I'm sorry you're having problems with this. Can I make a couple of suggestions that might help to get you going -

1 - turn off all existing rules, then add a brand new one. Previous rules (before the one you added) can halt the execution of the rule chain (that's part of how it works - the chain starts at the beginning, and each rule can decide to terminate at that point, or continue to the next rule).

2 - to test that you can make it change templates at all, try making a brand new rule, with no conditions set in it, and get it to return the "beez" template in the Succeed Action (just use the dropdown). This should force it to use Beez for every page. Once you can see that working, then you can get more creative with the rules.

3 - for most common uses, if you are using MetaTemplate Pro then you won't need to write any PHP.

Some people have reported issues with custom templates, but I haven't seen that confirmed. That's why I recommend you start with Beez, because I know it should work.

If you continue to have any problems please let me know and I'll help out as much as I can.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested, deleted all rules created an empty rule set to beez and it worked. Next I added an article id in the corresponding field and it worked too. Then I swichted to my template and again it worked. So I shut down IE8 and opened it again and now it didn't work, it dipslayed the default template.

Then I tried firefox and lo and behold it works in firefox. So I tried google chrome and it doesn't work there.

I don't know if this helps or not, but it seems IE8 is working off and on, but most of the time it doesn't, at least for me. Firefox seems to work fine.

Regards,

Max

webmax
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Hi Max,

you haven't accidentally set any of the "Browser detection" rules, have you? Can you confirm that that's set to "All"? That should be the main reason that you would be getting different templates for different browsers. (though the random nature of the behaviour is strange).

I also wonder if you might have set a cookie as a result of one of your previous experiments with MetaTemplate Pro? You can set up rules that will use previous cookies to set the template, so that could also be relevant.

Perhaps clear the cookies relating to the site that you're working on, on each browser, and see if that makes a difference.

We'll get to the bottom of it yet...

Is the site accessible from outside? Perhaps you could post or PM me the URL and I'll give it a go with some different browsers.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

It's weird, I checked on another machine and there it didn't show the right templates in all browsers I tried it, so I was a bit quick to say it works in firefox.

I checked about the browsers and it is on all, I also deleted all the cookies and other files.

The website is: http://downunder-travel.info/
The only articlethat uses a different template is under Tours - New Zealand - 15 Day Grand Kiwi

Or here the direct link: http://www.downunder-travel.info/index. … p;Itemid=2

Let me know if you need access to admin

Regards,

Max

webmax
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Hi Max,

I noticed that there's a difference in template when I access the page as these different URLs:

http://www.downunder-travel.info/index. … p;Itemid=2 (uses theme198)
http://downunder-travel.info/index.php? … p;Itemid=2 (uses theme198wide)

I would strongly suggest putting something in to your .htaccess file that forces the browser onto one or the other, then stick with just 1. In terms of this particular behaviour, did you put something into any of the rules based on the URL? That could have caused it, since the URL is different in both cases.

The randomness of the behaviour might simply be due to the fact that sometimes you were using "www" and sometimes not, but you didn't realise that that was making the difference.

If it's not that, perhaps you can PM me some admin login details and I'll check some more.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3319 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't catch this myself. You're right it has to do with the different urls with www and without www. At one point I added the domain in the domain field, but only without www. So it only worked with that domain.
Wow I'm really glad you caught this, thanks  a lot for your help.

Cheers,

Max

webmax
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
4 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls: