Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Language switch disappears when user logs in

Language switch disappears when user logs in

We are making a sort of closed shops for different client groups in Joomla 2.5 with Joomshopping.
We have created several "startpages" in different templates in several languages.
As soon a csutomer logs on this startpage  a chamleon rule switch the template. This works fine except
that the language switch disappears in this moment. If we make the url as trigger for template switching, it works everything fine until we log in. In the "public" mode chameleon and language switch works fine and evrything is perfect. So the same pages have language switch if nobody is logged in, but as soon somebody logs in the module disappears.
Because of this issue we turned off chameleon and made the structure so that template switching is working with different templates only with joomla functions. There the language switch does not disappear when a customer logs in.
But as soon we switch a chameleon rule on the language switch disappear.

We assume that it has to dot with the fact that you setup for every joomla-user a certain language and a setting inside chameleon. Do you know this issue?

We use the language switch from joomla.

supportca
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Language switch disappears when user logs in

Hi supportca,

This is definitely unusual behaviour. I've just taken a look at the source code for the language module, and there's nothing in there that would stop the module from appearing under normal circumstances. If it's assigned to a page, it should show at least the system languages in it.

Therefore, I would suggest the following possibilities:

1 - does the alternative template use the same name for the module position for the language switcher module? Perhaps on your main template the position is called "right" and on the new one it's called "main" or something?

2 - do any other modules assigned to the same module position disappear, or is it only the language switcher?

3 - Can you examine the HTML output of the page when the language switcher module seems to disappear, and see if there's any HTML output there at all? e.g. it should start with <div class="mod-languages<?php echo $moduleclass_sfx ?>">
If you do see that (with appropriate suffix) then for some reason the list of languages must be 0-length which may indicate that it's related to Chameleon. Another way to test this is to use the "Pre Text" field in the language module, insert some text in there and see if that text shows up even if there are no languages listed.

4 - If there's not output according to (3), and the module position name is definitely the same according to (1), then perhaps the language module is encountering a PHP error/warning that is not being reported but causing the whole module to disappear. In that case, try turning on error reporting in Joomla's Global Configuration to maximum, re-display the page, and see if anything is reported.

I hope that helps get to the next stage of debugging,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you for the support.
Now a summary:
The module itself does not disappear . The languages disappear. it is the thing what you said under point 3. The language are 0-length.
So there are no languages to choose if chameleon is activated.

In chameleon config rule, there is a point about $language handling. What does this exactly? Changing here, I see no effect, but default value is Joomla!-frontend language. Which effect has this?
There is no option to disable $languagehandling.

Perhaps there is the fault?

supportca
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi supportca,

The $language handling thing *shouldn't* have any effect on the language module appearing or not. It simply governs how the $language variable in Chameleon is calculated: mainly whether it refers to the frontend language or the browser language. So when you use "only these languages" or "exclude these languages", the language used for comparison is either frontend or browser.

Nevertheless, something is obviously going on that shouldn't. Could you possibly give me back-end access to your site to do some testing on this since I can't seem to replicate it on my site? I'll PM you some instructions.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: