Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

redirect depending on the country of the visitor

redirect depending on the country of the visitor

Hi,
I want to know how to configure the tool of chameleon, for that depending on the country of the visitor displayed a different joomla website.
Currently the rules that i have put  only  redirects to a single web page.

anaromero
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: redirect depending on the country of the visitor

Hi, I just used Google Translate to translate your original post, for more info:

I'm new to using the Chameleon tool, acquired with the purpose of using it to the following:
How to display different content depending on the country of the visitor, the website is made with joomla 2.5
Example if the visitor comes from the country of Ecuador that detects the page and show the visitor content Ecuador only other visitors to see the default content.

There are several different ways that you can set up this sort of content switching, and some are better than others for Search Engine reasons and general practicality. Let me explain the major options:

1 - the content has exactly the same URL, and the content of the page switches based on country of the visitor.

This is generally bad for search engine reasons because you are serving 2 sets of content on the same URL. The googlebot will only pick up one of them, meaning that google in Ecuador won't point people to the EC content because it never saw it.

2 - you put in a temporary redirect from the main URL for the page to a different page that contains the EC content. You can provide alternative links to the EC URL so that Google will index that separately.

3 - from your front page you provide different menu items to the EC and non-EC content, and use Chameleon to switch either one off depending on the country of the visitor. The 2 sets of content have different URLs. So if an EC visitor goes directly to the non-EC content they will be allowed to see it, but if they go to the front page of the site they will only see links (menu items) for the EC content.

4 - combine (2) and (3) so that EC visitors are always force redirected to the EC content as well as the menu items changing.

5 - use separate sites, and use redirections from 1 site to the other based on country of the visitor.

Now some questions for you:

1 - which scenario above suits your site best?
2 - is it mostly 1 page that needs to be customised for EC, or the whole site? How much of the site is going to be the same for EC and non-EC?

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Hi, thanks for response.

According to what you said , the scenario that best suit me is the option 4.
My main goal is depending on the country of the visitor can view different content.

He told my options:
1.-I have the official web site in joomla 2.5 http://190.57.145.46/volrisk2/
Within this page I created articles, menus, modules and with other content as well, using Chameleon detects the country and show different content.
Example If the visitor is from Colombia or other country http://190.57.145.46/volrisk2/ display the page as is, but if it is from Ecuador show the same page but with different content.

But I could not configure the chameleon tool for this. I researched and found the following option:
2.-I have the official web site in joomla 2.5 http://190.57.145.46/volrisk2/ for visitors from Colombia or elsewhere.
I created other website: http://190.57.145.46/volrisk2/ec/ to Ecuador
Using the tool chameleon create a redirection rule but did not work me.

The difference between the two website is not much so I want you to help me in the configuration of the Chameleon tool for use in the official website  http://190.57.145.46/volrisk2/.  That is, create a rule in Chameleon to show different content on the same WebSite

anaromero
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

Ok, here's a description of how to set up #4.

What we want to achieve:

1 - you will set up some "equivalent" pages for EC and non-EC customers. e.g. contact page and perhaps some others.
2 - detect people from EC and hide non-EC menu items
3 - detect people from everywhere except for EC, and hide EC menu items
4 - detect people from EC who are trying to access the non-EC menu item, and do a "temporary" redirect to the EC-equivalent menu item.

Make sense?

Here's more detail on those steps:

1 - set up the equivalent menu items "beside" the main ones in your menu structure. e.g.

- home
- about
- - about us   [for EC]
- - about us   [for non-EC]
- contact   [for EC]
- contact   [for non-EC]

If you view the site without Chameleon set up, then you will see the double menu items. That's ok for now.

2 - set up 1st rule in Chameleon. Use it to detect country EC. In the Succeed action, select the menu items to hide, e.g. the about us for non-EC, and the contact page for non-EC. Important: also in the Succeed action, indicate "process next rule in chain".

3 - set up 2nd rule in Chameleon. Use it to detect country "Exclude these countries: EC". In the Succeed action, select the menu items to hide, e.g. the about us for EC, and the contact page for EC. Important: also in the Succeed action, indicate "process next rule in chain".

4 - set up 3rd rule in Chameleon. In this one, detect country: EC and in the "Menu" section highlight "about us [for non-EC]" or some other item that you don't want EC people to view.
In the Succeed action, use the Redirect dropdown to select the EC equivalent of that page. e.g. the "about us [EC]"

5 - repeat [4] for each of the menu items that you want to redirect to a different one for people in EC.

That should be everything.
A good thing about this method is that you may not need to create new modules for the EC pages - you can assign modules to both the EC and non-EC pages if they are relevant. So the only content you need to maintain separately is the article or contact info on the different pages.

I hope that helps!
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Hi, thanks for response.
I followed the steps you told me.
Everything went well, but still missing. I have 2 questions:
1.-Can hide modules with Chameleon? If so, What would be the rule?
In the home page for EC I show 3 different modules.
2.-Can hide featured articles? If so, What would be the rule?
On the homepage I show to EC 1 highlighted item and one for the other countries

Currently, I created two home pages but does not work because in joomla rule can only be one default home page.

Please, can you help me?
Thanks

anaromero
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
7 Posts

Hi anaromero,

(1) Sorry, Chameleon can't hide modules. It doesn't really do anything with modules. The best it could do would be if you set up 2 template styles, each of which has different naming for module positions, e.g. on one you could name the module position "right1" and on the other "right2". Then you could assign modules to the different positions, and Chameleon could switch the template "style", and different modules would appear or disappear.

(2) Sorry, Chameleon can't hide featured articles. It doesn't have any "hooks" into the article selection process for display. I wonder however if you could do this a different way. You could make 2 menu items, next to each other, one of which selects featured articles from 1 category, and the other from a different category. Then you can use Chameleon to set one of these as the "default page" for EC, and the other page as the default page for other countries. You would also get Chameleon to "hide" the other menu item that it's not setting to default, so the user only sees the one that is the home/default page.

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: