Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Modules only showing when published to "all"

Modules only showing when published to "all"

First off great work on the plugin, I have been using it on many of my sites and it solves a big problem with Joomla out of the box.

I am however having trouble on one particular site that only seems to allow modules to be published to their position when assigned to "all" the menus.  If I try to assign a specific module to one specific menu item nothing shows up.

This happened not long after I installed the Metamod pro module and plugin.  Any suggestions?

I have tried the following:
-disabled/enabled sh404sef.
-cleared browser and joomla cache
-tried creating fresh articles, fresh menu items and fresh modules.
-this happens no matter what type of module or menu item it is.

Thanks for your time and help.

-Trevor

postscape
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Modules only showing when published to "all"

Hi Trevor,

I saw a problem a bit like this the other day, and it was related to bad Itemids. These had been caused, I think, by someone duplicating a menu and giving the new menu a name that had a space in it. At that point the new menu got deleted, but all the menu items inside it remained, and started to mess up the Itemids.

Anyway, the point is that I managed to identify that there was a problem by turning on MetaMod's debug mode, and checking the Itemids for each of the pages that I went to. The MetaMod was assigned to all pages of course. By examining the Itemids I noticed that sometimes the Itemid didn't match what it should have, and that Itemid didn't appear to be in any of the menus (you can see the Itemids using the Menu Manager, I think in the last column).

Can you check your site in this way and make sure that the Itemids are behaving themselves?

If not that, then I don't know what else might be going on. Try unpublishing MetaMod Pro in the Plugin manager, just in case. What other components do you have installed - anything unusual? Also, what version of Joomla are you running?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen-

Thanks for the quick response.  I did what you suggested and it looks like this is infact what is happening (different menu id showing for the debug versus actual).  I also did something similar where I deleted a few menu items and then recreated them with similar names (no spaces though) just after i installed the Metamod plugin.

I did some searching on Google but have not found a way to reset the menu id's.  Were you able to get that persons issue resolved? 

I know this is outside of your support for the metamod pro, and would be willing to pay for your time.

Thanks.

-Trevor

postscape
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi Trevor,

I resolved it by going direct to the database and deleting the stray menu items (the ones that were in the database, but not showing up in any of the menus in Menu manager).

If you're comfortable with doing so, then I would suggest using PhpMyAdmin or some other direct database access to get to these. Just don't forget to triple check that you're deleting the right ones smile

PhpMyAdmin is usually accessible via cPanel or whatever control panel you have for your hosting.

best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

p.s. they are in the #__menu table in MySQL.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

I am having this same problem, however deleting the entry in the database and re-adding the menu did not help.

I have 2 menus, one shows up to logged in users, the other shows up for non-logged in users. I have the module set to show up on a menu item for the non-logged in users that goes to a sobi2 page, but for some reason metamod is assigning the ID from the menu item for the same item but from the logged in users menu instead.

Grrr. This was working fine for weeks till I installed sh404sef the other day. now all of a sudden this is going on.

wadecordts
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi wadecordts,

it's hard to know exactly what's going on here - it could be one of several factors.

1 - the check for logged in users / non logged in users isn't dependent on anything about the SEF URLs, so it's hard to imagine that MetaMod is getting confused by this. I'm not counting it out... it just seems unlikely.

2 - make sure you have the latest version of MetaMod and MetaMod Pro installed (2.5 in each case).

3 - try shuffling the order of System Plugins, e.g. reversing the order of the MetaMod Pro plugin and the sh404SEF plugin.

4 - what version of sh404sef are you using? Upgrade to the latest version if you can. I've had some reports of upgrading fixing problems between sh404sef and MetaMod, but never got to the bottom of exactly what was going on.

5 - have you turned on the system cache plugin by any chance? That is likely to mess with pages with MetaMods, because the cache doesn't take into account all the factors that MetaMod does when it includes other modules. This can cause the cache to remember a page with the modules in one state, when they should be in another state.

Hope something in there helps... if you're really at a loss can you send me your copy of sh404SEF and I'll see if I can replicate the problem? Or you can e-mail me login details for your site and I'll have a look at it from that end. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Well, seems when I disable sh404sef the module displays correctly. I am using sh404sef version 1.5.12.464 with the regular metamod latest version. THere does not seem to be any plugin listed for metamod, I assume this is only in the pro version?

wadecordts
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi,

yes, the plugin is only for MetaMod Pro (you are in the MetaMod Pro forum!). So at least that gets counted out. Can you send me a copy of sh404sef version 1.5.12.464 for me to look at? I've PM'd you my e-mail address. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Wade, I've just been reading through your original description again:

wadecordts wrote:

I have 2 menus, one shows up to logged in users, the other shows up for non-logged in users. I have the module set to show up on a menu item for the non-logged in users that goes to a sobi2 page, but for some reason metamod is assigning the ID from the menu item for the same item but from the logged in users menu instead.

Can I ask about how you have the "logged in" and "logged out" menus set up? Is one just a duplicate of the other (e.g. by using the "Copy" function in Menu Manager) with some items changed in it? or did you just make a new menu with lots of "alias" menu items pointing through to the other menu?

When you say "MetaMod is assigning the ID from the menu item .... from the logged in users menu instead", are you saying that the Menu module that appears has that wrong menu item?

If so, it's not really the MetaMod that's doing this. I assume that basically the menu module that's showing up is the right one, except for that one wrong menu item, right? So if that menu item is wrong, but it's basically the right menu module, then it's not MetaMod to blame. MetaMod just decides which module to display, and it doesn't mess with actual menu structure.

To test this hypothesis, try taking MetaMod out of the equation. You can do this by disabling it, then assigning (e.g.) the "logged in" menu to the page in the normal way. Then log in, and see if the menu items are correct. Then try it with the "non logged in" menu instead. Are you seeing the same problem?

I think that what's going on is more due to sh404sef assigning the same SEF URL to the 2 different menu items (1 on each menu). You might need to make one of them different (particularly if one was originally a duplicate of the other).

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: