Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Is MetaMod what I need to solve my problem?

Is MetaMod what I need to solve my problem?

I am really new to Joomla and Sobi but with the great information on the forums and the generosity of people taking their time to answers questions on the forum my site is coming together nicely. One of the SOBI posts recommended MetaMod. On my site I am using SOBI as a search engine for hotels. However, I don't like the gallery feature as it does not fit in with what i want. On teh details view page it looks like this http://www.vivaasiamagazine.com/index.p … mp;Itemid=

In the white space on the right of the page I want to have a slide show like i have on my front page www.vivaasiamagazine.com Am i right in thinking from what i have read in your post that i can configure MetaMod and then use it to run my JA slideshow on SOBI? I wanted to check before i start downloading anything or inserting code to make sure the end result is going to be what I am looking for. I want to be able to store 3 images with each listing and then they come up as a slideshow when that hotel is viewed in the details view.

Cheers,

Jim

origomedia
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Is MetaMod what I need to solve my problem?

Hi Jim,

I replied to your message on the SOBI2 forum as well. But a few additional questions here:

1 - how are you proposing to store the related images for each item? Are these already uploaded as part of the SOBI2 entry for that hotel?

2 - as stated in my other reply, the white space appears to be part of the output/display of a SOBI2 entry - it's not a module position. So you would need to use the {loadposition xxx} command to load a module position into that part of the table, and that becomes part of each entry that you have to enter.

3 - do you have a particular image gallery in mind that can take images as part of a SOBI2 entry, and display them?
-- if there is a module that allows you to specify a particular SOBI2 entry (e.g. by id), and then displays a gallery of images from that entry, then MetaMod could probably be used to dynamically alter that ID number, when the module was displayed on a SOBI2 entry page. This is fairly advanced use, but not that hard to do.

At the end of the day, I wonder if there isn't already some way to display SOBI2 images as part of a SOBI2 entry display page. It seems sort of a logical thing to exist...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen,

responded to you on SOBI and then saw the above response. I am hoping that I will be able to add three images to each hotel entry which will then get picked up by the slideshow when that entry is viewed. I am all very new to this so am not sure if i am having ideas beyond what is possible. I just don't like the way the gallery looks in SOBI and would prefer to have the pictures large and rotating for better effect.

As previously mentioned I am really really new to this and so far have managed to work through most things and the site is really ready to go now once I resolve how to get the images the way I want them and the how to move the SOBI search button below the drop down menus:)

Jim

origomedia
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

ok, so you're saying that there *is* an image gallery as part of SOBI2 (so image uploads must be possible), but you just don't like the way that it displays the images, and you would like to use another non-SOBI2 gallery module instead.

You're asking for something quite difficult. Admittedly MetaMod would be able to detect what these images are, given a SOBI2 entry, but the job is then to pass these images on to another gallery module for display.

Most gallery modules tend to be given a particular folder on your server, then they cycle through the images in that folder. This would not be much help to you.

In order for MetaMod to be able to "instruct" another gallery module which images to use, the gallery module would have to have "parameters" that would allow you to set individual image URLs for the images you want to display. I've never seen any that do that (cos that would limit the number of images they could display).

I think you might be better off trying to get someone to work with the standard SOBI2 template/system for displaying a gallery of images. A bit of JS magic could completely transform it into what you want, then you would know that the rest of the infrastructure was in place too.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3314 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks Stephen,

Understand what you mean. I will see if I can get someone to have a look at the SOBI code for me and see if they can make changes to how the gallery images are displayed. At the moment you can choose how many images and then they display as thumbnails which you then click on them and they get bigger like in this example. http://thedentalist.com/find-a-dentist- … n-DDS.html

so like you say everything is basically there it just needs some tweaking.

Jim

origomedia
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts: