Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Metamod losing module styling

Metamod losing module styling

Hello,

Using a paid version of metamod Pro version 2.2c. I have a metamodule that displays one of 2 mod_custom modules at random. Using YooTheme Explorer was no trouble. Have since switched to RocketTheme Reaction and the styling for the module periodically disappears, leaving an unstyled module. Sometimes a page refresh solves this, other times it does not. Under 'Style for included modules' I have selected multiple divs.

Can you lend a hand (url: http://ukstage.ca/)

drjjw
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Metamod losing module styling

Hi drjjw,

are you referring to the "poll" on the front page, or to some other module? I can see the poll randomly changing, but after a number of page refreshes I still can't see it fail as you describe.

When you're using MetaMod Pro, the "style for included modules" actually has no effect (unless you create output from the PHP box directly), so that won't be having an effect on the situation.

Can you perhaps post the recipe you are using so I can see if there's any possibility that that's causing the issues?

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Actually, it's the module to the right of the poll.

Here is the PHP code I'm using:

$r = rand(1,2); // get a random number: 1-2 inclusive
if ($r == 1) return 216;
if ($r == 2) return 145;

drjjw
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

I should add Stephen, that on another installation where I am using this random module code, the module styling periodically disappears, only to reappear on page refresh. So, it appears to not be specific to this new template.

drjjw
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

Hi again,

I've been sitting here doing page refreshes on the front page of the site for some time, but still can't seem to get the styling to disappear. I've tried on Firefox and Safari, and at last 40 refreshes on each.

About how frequent is this problem for you, and what browser are you using?

Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Hi there,

Using a Mac, all browsers. It's quite unpredictable, maybe 5-10% of page loads.

It may just be a gremlin I have to put up with. I of course cannot reproduce now but will send a screen cap when it happens again

drjjw
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

What would be more useful would be a copy of the HTML source for the page, when it fails. A screenshot would be ok too of course.

Once it starts failing again, could you perhaps remove the MetaMod from that module, and just statically assign one of the 2 modules into that position? Then see if you can make it fail again. If you can make it fail with MetaMod out of the equation then it could be something else wrong in the template etc.

I'm not saying MetaMod's not at fault - I can't tell - it's just a process of trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

ok, I just managed to get an example of it failing. The HTML is definitely different, so now I have something to go on.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Great. I'm glad you could reproduce and that I'm not seeing things!

drjjw
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
9 Posts

It's extremely puzzling though. What causes it to be intermittent? It doesn't seem to relate to the random numbers you're generating. Still working on this.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: