Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

bot redirect

bot redirect

I am sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find a solution

I have a form that people click a button to ask a question about products in Mijoshop but the bots are bypassing the captcha and so I would like to know if there is a way to redirect all bots that hit pages with this title:  Ask a question about this product

to another page that says:  the website thinks you are a bot, if not please call XXX-XXX-XXXX to get your question answered.

or to hide the send button and show a module with that message

maryswave
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: bot redirect

Hi maryswave,

this is a good question, but probably a lot more complicated than you think. The question is, are the bots somehow cracking the CAPTCHA, or is the CAPTCHA not working properly, or perhaps are there real humans on the other end doing the spamming?

And, irrespective of the answer to that question, how would MetaMod determine whether something is a bot or not? I've struggled with this on a number of occasions and can tell you that it's VERY hard to tell when something is a spam bot. Generally the user agent is a standard one (looks like a normal browser), the IP addresses come from all over the world, and there's very little in the request that gives away the fact that it's a spammer.

So, to track this one down you will need to have a lot of knowledge about HTTP requests, and the mind of a sleuth. if you're not that person, you'll need to find one to help you out!

Sorry I can't offer you any easy solutions to this. I have sometimes used Chameleon to intercept such requests where the spambots use a distinct user agent, but that has only every been part of the answer.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3312 Posts
User info in posts

Re: bot redirect

ok thank, when spam requests come in through the form I go to the cPanel and export the recent visit list and then use ip sniper to determine if it was a bot or not and then block that ip but I would prefer an easier way.  thanks for the response.

maryswave
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
10 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week: