Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Google rankings, SEO and GeoIP

Google rankings, SEO and GeoIP

I have a social site for over 50s and would like to show a different content page for the  Dating section to the US than to the UK.
My main question is:
How would this affect my SEO and organic positions for each?
Would the UK Google spider see only the UK page and the US one the US page?
Does Google approve of GeoIP targeted content?

My second question is:
I can easily do this with modules but how do I show a different menu item by location?

How about if I had a the main menu item for UK to be UK dating with a drop down for US and vice versa for UK with unique menu titles?

Head Buzzer
Buzz50 Seniors

Buzz50
Mr
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Google rankings, SEO and GeoIP

Can you please tell me how to do this?

Show this menu layout for non UK

Dating
-Dating
-UK Dating

And this for UK

Dating
-Dating
-US dating

The top level Dating menu item would be for the same link as the sub menu immediately beneath it.
I am expecting that I will be setting up 6 menu items.

Thanks,
Mike

Head Buzzer
Buzz50 Seniors

Buzz50
Mr
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Mike,

I'm not aware of the Googlebots "coming from" different countries according to which Google (.com or .co.uk etc) they are associated with. As far as I know there's only 1 set of bots that serve all of Google. So Geotargeting will NOT automatically get the right pages onto the right Google search sites.

It is possible with Google Webmaster Tools to tell Google that certain parts of your site are geographically allocated to a certain country. The last I heard about this was that it's better if it's a subsection of your site, with at least a handful of pages or more allocated to that country (so a 1-off page allocated to UK may not be enough to swing it). But it's worth a try.

Ok, so the question is technically how to set up menu items for different locales, and how to ensure that Google can actually see all of them even if the googlebots always appear to come from the US.

This can't be done with MetaMod, but it CAN be done with the help of Chameleon.

Chameleon is a bit like MetaMod, but more GUI-based, and instead of dealing with modules, it deals with:
- choice of template
- switching menu items off
- turning plugins off
- adding JS/CSS etc to the page
- page redirections
- choice of default page (aka front page of the site).
- and more.

It's a rule-based system where you set up a chain of rules, and each time a page is requested it steps down the set of rules, trying each one, and doing "actions" according to the results.

So here's one way of doing it with Chameleon:

1 - create all the menu items in the same menu, e.g.

Dating
- Dating
- UK dating
- US dating
- Canada dating
... etc.

2 - once you have set them up, change the top-level one to be a menu alias for the 1st child. That way you can either click on the top level or the 1st child and you get the same page.

3 - in Chameleon, set up the 1st rule: detect "googlebots", and for the Succeed Action "quit rule chain". That way, if a googlebot is detected it won't continue on to the GeoIP rules, and all the menu items will stay in place (therefore the googlebot will get to all the pages and index them)

4 - in Chameleon, set up the 2nd rule: detect country GB. In the Succeed Action tell it to remove the menu items for US dating and Canada dating.

5 - in Chameleon, set up the 3rd rule: detect country US. In the Succeed Action tell it to remove the menu items for UK dating and Canada dating.

6 - in Chameleon, set up the 4th rule: detect country CA. In the Succeed Action tell it to remove the menu items for US dating and UK dating.

For all other countries therefore, ALL of the menu items will show.

Now, there is a bit of an issue here. That is, if people search on Google and it comes up with the US page but they are in the UK, then it will give a 404 error on that page which is not good. So you could also set up some other rules that do the following (for example):

- detect people from the UK looking at the US or CA page: if found, redirect them to the UK page
- etc.

So how does all that sound to you?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3313 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply Stephen, I will do something similar to your suggestion.

I have already bought both Metamod Pro and Chameleon and used them on Joomla 1.5, 2.5 and now 3.2 and recommend them to others.

I use Metamodpro to show instruction modules to new users as well as may GeoIP ones.

Mike

Head Buzzer
Buzz50 Seniors

Buzz50
Mr
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info