Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Chameleon J3.0 and another question

Chameleon J3.0 and another question

Hi!

Is there any estimated date/month to chameleon be J3.0 compatible? I'm awaiting to purchase when it's available.

This questions are J3.0 related:

1 - I want to redirect users to mysite.com/index.php?lang=br (i use falang) when they come from brasil for example, this is possible correct?

2 - I checked your blog and you said that when redirecting to specific languages that menus for that language have to be created so that the users stays on the same page.. because if not it will be redirected to the menu which the language is set by default.. is this still aplying ?

I'm asking this because with Falang, i only have a menu with Language = all and navigating threw links and changing the language, it stays on the same page.

thanks

stblink
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Chameleon J3.0 and another question

Hi stblink,

I can't give an exact date for release as my time to work on it is a bit pressured at the moment. I have the basic Chameleon functions working fine, but there's a lot of testing and backend layout stuff to do before I let it loose on the public! Ideally I'd like to combine it with the J2.5 version, but that might be more effort than it's worth (but then updates take twice the work... can't win!).

1 - yes, you could redirect people hitting the front page from Brazil to a particular URL, You do have to be quite careful about how you set this up so people don't get in an infinite loop – so either you only send people once per session (using a session variable or cookie to remember that you already did a redirection), or you only redirect people who hit certain pages.

2 - I have never tested that function with Falang, so it's hard to know how that will work. Is Falang free and available on Joomla 3.0 yet? I'm happy to test this and advise but easier when it's free or if you can provide me a copy.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

I see. Well there are developers that achieved the compability with J2.5 - J3.0 since there are extensions that work on both, using the same installer. Since i'm not a developer i don't know how they did it.

I will have to wait then.

1 - In this case it would be using the cookie session variable

2 - Falang uses the Joomla language switcher plugin, it does not work if it's deactivated. It's already J3.0 and it's free (with bottom copyright link).

Actually i reminded i haven't fully tested the fact of having multiple links using only 1 menu with language=all, if it stays on the same page, but when i have complete certain, i'll let you know.

By the way, where can i subscribe to news/updates ? The blog only allows me to subscribe to inserted posts and i don't see a newsletter subscribe.

thanks

stblink
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

I confirm that with falang, i don't need to create menu items for each language.

I will be purchasing Chameleon J3.0 when it's available, however there is a "temporary" solution which is a script placed on the root folder to do this like www.ip2nation.com .

The problem here is that i heard that placing websites inside folders is bad for page rank...

stblink
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Hi - all releases get announced on twitter, @stephen_brandon so that's the best way to keep up to date. I may have a look at Falang on Monday but my main priority is to get Chameleon finished and tested – I trust you understand.

Thanks for the info,

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Sure.

Anyway i believe i have found a solution to redirect users to url based on their ip. But it's a hack (very small one) so i will still be waiting for Chameleon when it's J3.0, and according to your priorities that i fully understand.

thanks

stblink
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

Chameleon is now running on Joomla 3.0. It's a combined package for Joomla 2.5-3.0 (have now dropped J1.7 support).

If you've already purchased the 1.7-2.5 version, you can download the combined 2.5-3.0 version here:

http://www.metamodpro.com/shop/account

… then view your order, and download the update.

Or, you can visit www.metamodpro.com/chameleon/shop17 to learn more or purchase.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks Stephen,

yes, you could redirect people hitting the front page from Brazil to a particular URL, You do have to be quite careful about how you set this up so people don't get in an infinite loop – so either you only send people once per session (using a session variable or cookie to remember that you already did a redirection), or you only redirect people who hit certain pages.

1 - Yes i will use session, but what you say here is all accomplished using Chameleon PRO without knowledge of php code correct, including the establish session?

1.1 - Also related to point 1, how does chamaleon interact with Falang ? i mean.. i will be redirecting brasil users to mysite.com/index.php?lang=br but what happens if user decides to change the language threw Joomla switcher plugin after hitting the page? it changes the language and nothing more happens correct? As i understood... Chameleon only reacts when the page is hit first?

1.2 - Does Chameleon allows me to don't make any language redirection if a cookie is already set(meaning if the user has already visited the site) ?

2 - I will be using more the Geoip functionality of Chameleon, there is no additional costs for the geoip database?

thanks

stblink
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
6 Posts

1 - there are GUI controls for the setting and detecting of session variables and cookies which is usually enough so you don't need to write PHP for it.

1.1 & 1.2 - this question may require a little more thought and testing to answer fully. It's obviously going to be important to work out the exact order of operations and what should happen in each situation. To allow people to change the page manually, you could make it so that Chameleon only switches the language once, then sets a session variable or cookie. After that, if the cookie or session variable is already set then Chameleon could exit, thus allowing people to change it however they like after that.

2 - there are no costs for the GeoIP database unless you want to pay for the commercial version. The accuracy of the commercial one is higher, but not hugely.

Lastly, there is a 30 day money back guarantee for Chameleon, so if we can't get it to work just the way you want it, then you can get a refund - no hassles.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Dormant:
User Info: