Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Fatal Memory Error

Fatal Memory Error

Hello:

Love metamod. Love NZ more having been to the North Island many years ago in 2000. Taupo skydiving - wow!

I figured I'd give it a try.
Trying to use metamod with cu3er image rotator.

But when activated I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 256 bytes) in /home/content/83/****** (number removed) /html/libraries/joomla/application/module/helper.php on line 145

Oh, this line frustrates me.
Thoughts?

TIm

zoomlanski
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Fatal Memory Error

Hi zoomlanski,

Yep, NZ is great, especially during our lovely summer Christmas! I've never done the skydiving, but Bungy Jumping in Queenstown... awesome.

Regarding your memory size problem - a 32MB mem size is fairly hefty and it's hard to imagine MetaMod itself maxing it out. Can you try setting the memory_limit in your php.ini file (if you have access to it):

memory_limit = 40M

You can often set that in a .htaccess file on most hosting partners:

php_value memory_limit 40M

If you keep bumping this higher and higher, and it still fails, then perhaps there's an endless loop that keeps allocating more and more memory. Does the script always fail at the same line in the file above? If it's different each time it's more likely to be some kind of endless loop, though it's hard to tell for sure.

Just to check that MetaMod is definitely involved: can you try assigning your module to the page *without* MetaMod being involved? Do you get the same error?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

I have full access writes to the all the listed files. There is no memory_limit = 40M or php_value memory_limit 40M  listed in any of them. It mostly has coding for the zend engines and mod_rewrites.

Too looked at configuration.php, index.php, php5.ini, nothing there.

I do recall seeing all the memory stuff in a php file from another of my sites. I'll have to do some research to find out where that stuff is located with GoDaddy Joomla Installs...

Using Joomla 1.5.15, PHP 5

Thanks. I know what to look for, now need to find where to look for...

Cheers,
Tim

zoomlanski
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hi Tim,

it looks like the default memory limit has already been set for you, at 32M  (i.e. 32 MegaBytes). I'm suggesting that you find the right file to override this (usually either .htaccess in your html folder, or php.ini in your html folder, or talk to your hoster to increase it), and give it a higher value, starting at 40MB.

If you don't get the memory error when you are not using MetaMod (with memory limit set at your default of 32M), but you do get it with MetaMod even with memory limit set to something astronomical like 64M, then it would seem that MetaMod is triggering some very bad behaviour on your system. However if you can solve the problem by bumping up the memory limit just a little bit, then chances are you were close to the limit anyway and MetaMod just pushed it over the limit.

Make sense?
Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Talked to GoDaddy and they said at the line to php5.ini -- added
I bumped it to 120 (memory_limit = 120M) to see what would happen and always get the answer:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40961 bytes) in /home/content/83/5029883/html/libraries/joomla/application/module/helper.php on line 172

Obviously, my forte is not managing memory issues. Metamod works without problem on other basic mods on the website. It is only when I attempt to use it with CU3ER... Hmmm.... I'll post Line 172 in the next post.

zoomlanski
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Does this seem relevant?

// Load the module
        if (!$module->user && file_exists( $path ) && empty($module->content))
        {
            $lang =& JFactory::getLanguage();
            $lang->load($module->module);
$content = '';
ob_start();    <<<----- 172???
require $path;
$module->content = ob_get_contents().$content;
ob_end_clean();

zoomlanski
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Just wondering - is there any chance that the MetaMod is trying to load itself? e.g. is it returning its own module ID? That could end up causing an infinite loop trying to load itself loading itself loading itself... consuming memory until it hits the limit. Perhaps you entered the MetaMod's own ID in the Quick Module ID Include box, for example?

Out of interest, is the module the one from http://www.quber.org/ ?

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

I feel like a dork. Yes, it was a cyclical error on itself. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Rule #1 - reconfirm the module numbers
Rule #2 - see rule #1

On the positive side, I know how to increase memory size with GoDaddy.

Take care NZ. Thanks for your hard work creating this.
I'm happy to buy pro to pay for my stupidity!

Cheers
Tim

zoomlanski
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hey Tim - I'm so glad that was the problem! I really should put in some sort of check to prevent this recursion... sorry that wasn't there. Thanks for purchasing MMPro, and I trust you'll find it useful.

Merry Christmas,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: