Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

For an online contest, display module every x visits or days

For an online contest, display module every x visits or days

I have some coupons to give away and what I want is to have a contest for visitors to participate just by visiting my website, the idea is to display a module "Kept participating" but display every 100 visits the Winner Module containing a form to contact and claim your prize. Another way would be that instead of 100 views display 1 time per day.

Also if possible when 100 people claimed their prize will not back out the winner module until i have more coupons available.

How can create this structure with metamod? There is a better way to implement it?

Sorry for my english.
Thank you very much.

touring
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: For an online contest, display module every x visits or days

Hi,

I think you have some challenges here about how to stop people abusing the system. Also about how best to keep a running count of the number of people who have claimed a prize.

Yes, MetaMod can help you do all of those, but it's a bit of a programming job and has some challenges. Ideally you would get someone to write a simple component that helps to maintain the number of prizes available - MetaMod won't do that for you.

For the basic rules about how many times it will be displayed, you need to think very carefully about which way you want to do that. e.g. will it be every 100 pages that are viewed? Or every 100 "Sessions"? Will there be a maximum number of these per day? e.g. you could make it display on every 100th session but a maximum of 1 per day.

So I'll help you with the basic logic for translating your basic idea into a module that appears or disappears... but the management of the maximum number of times to do this you will need to find a programmer to solve for you.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Thank you very much for your answer Stephen and congratulations for this great module!,

I think it's best to handle with sessions "every 100" but with a maximum of 1 per day.

Thus although I don’t  have an automatic control of the available prizes  but I can control it will not be more than one winner per day.

I think that something like this would work well!  Now a little detail how I do this with metamod?

Sorry for my english,
Kind Regards.

touring
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

So Stephen can you give me a hand with this please?
Handle with sessions "every 100" but with a maximum of 1 per day.

Kind Regards.

touring
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hi Touring,

unfortunately I am struggling with this a bit. I want to find the best way to save the counter for the 100 sessions. The usual way is to keep it in the database, but then I have to explain how to set up a new database table and I am trying to avoid that.

Sorry it may be a few more days until I can make the time to work on this. I'm wondering if there's a good way to do it with on-disk caches...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hello Stephen, did you resolve the best way to store the counter for 100 sessions?

If not found another method to use the database and I have to manually create a table and fields with phpmyadmin think I could do it (with the parameters that you tell me) smile.

Kind Regards.

touring
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
5 Posts

Hey I started working on this at the weekend but stumbed on a problem I need you to decide on.

The thing is:
On the 1st day let's say it counts up to 100 and gives out the module, then counts up to 100 again, and of course does not show the module again.
At the start of the 2nd day, the counter is maybe up to 500.

So what should happen? Should it give out the module to the 1st page requested on the 2nd day? The problem is then that any day when the counter goes over 100, the next day the module will be shown to the 1st person to make a page request after midnight.
Or, when the 2nd day is detected should it reset the counter to 0 again (if it was over 100)? That way it's harder to predict what time the new module will be given out.

It's actually quite difficult to find a perfect solution for this that maintains randomness and fairness. There are intricacies that I didn't even mention above. But if you can please have a careful think about this can you let me know how you'd like to do it?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: