Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Responsive design templates

Responsive design templates

Stephen
Can I use Chameleon to enable a website to act like a responsive designed template.  If I had three templates, designed in Artisteer with a fluid width, a three column (Desktop), two column (tablet) and a single column (mobile) what would I need to do to create a Rule in Chameleon 2.2.7.

Regards
Mike

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Responsive design templates

Strictly speaking this isn't a "responsive" template setup that you are proposing. Google for RWD to find a better definition of what that is. But aside from semantics, you can certainly set your site up with Chameleon to provide a completely different template for tablet devices, mobile devices and desktops.

In Chameleon you would setup 3 rules:

1 - detect "mobile" devices in the "environment" section. In the "Succeed action" select the template to use for mobiles. Name and save the rule.
2 - in a new rule, do the same for "tablet" devices
3 - in a new rule, do the same for "desktop" devices. It might be good to select both "desktop" and "tv" in this rule, so that TV devices are catered for as well.

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen
Thank you, I am enjoying using Chameleon.

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen,
I have just recently purchased Chameleon and I may have it set up incorrectly?? What I am trying to accomplish is the following:
I have 2 normal desktop/tablet versions of a template created with Artisteer and they are responsive. My client wanted to oder his content differently once it hit a mobile device (excluding tablets) So what Artisteer does is order left then center then right in the responsive stack. He wanted the opposite. So I adjusted the main template to reflect that oder and am using Chameleon to tell the DB to use the mobile version of the responsive template with the new order, but it is no longer responsive?? Did I possibly set this up incorrectly?

Thanks,
CTE2087

cte2087
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Hi CTE2087,

to determine whether Chameleon is at fault here, can I suggest that you turn off all the Chameleon rules, then set the mobile template as default (temporarily)? Then view the site on a mobile device, and see whether the template works. If the template works properly in that setup but does NOT work when Chameleon does the selection, then there's something wrong.

So if you can get your template to work properly when Chameleon is not involved, please turn on the Chameleon debug mode. It's in the Options panel, accessible from the Chameleon rule chain page. When that is turned on, each page you view should also display a list of the rules, results and actions that Chameleon undertook. This might give you a clue as to what is going on – perhaps something in your rule is causing it to not properly detect the mobile devices, so perhaps it's not doing the switching?

Let me know how you get on with that,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

I have discovered where the challenge lies. I have a domain forwarding with masking. (follybeachnow.com) It is not taking the rules set of rules set for the Chameleon. Otherwise I have gotten it to show properly if I enter from the parent site (vinceperna.com).
I did see a place to enter a domain name, but I tried that and it still did not display the responsive template and did not show the mobile responsive template that I customized.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
CTE2087

cte2087
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

What did the debug output show? Perhaps copy and paste that in here and I can take a look.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info: