Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Basic question - Redirection to Mobile template within Joomla 2.5.6

Basic question - Redirection to Mobile template within Joomla 2.5.6

Hi
I am a newbie, just searching for a product that will enable a smartphone user to be directed to a mobile version of my regular website without using a sub-domain.

I am using Joomla 2.5.4, I want to be able to maintain one set of content and yet when a smartphone user tries to access my regular website address they are directed to a mobile template.

I generally use Artisteer to create my templates, either a fixed width or fluid, either or, what ever it needs.

Is this possible with your product line.

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Basic question - Redirection to Mobile template within Joomla 2.5.6

Hi Mightec,

Sorry I didn't get to your e-mails earlier.

Yes, you can use Chameleon to make your site use a particular template based on whether something is a mobile device or not. You could use one template for all mobile devices, or map several different devices to several different templates.

The only caveat to this is that the definition of "mobile device" is getting more and more complex. For example, there are large screen TVs that use the Android operating system, but the Android device detection will obviously put them into the same template as smaller Android devices, which is probably not what you want. (or it may be, depending on the template and the controls available on the TV).

So Chameleon has a generic catch-all Mobile Device detection that should catch just about everything, or you select by category of device (e.g. iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPod, and a few more). If there you have very specific needs then you can even use a line or 2 of PHP to detect a specific user agent (aka browser).

Hope that helps,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen
thank you very much for your response, I am looking specifically at handheld devices not smart TV's, not sure about your last comments, 'If there you have very specific needs then you can even use a line or 2 of PHP to detect a specific user agent (aka browser)'

Can you explain for a pensioner.

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Mightec,

You've made me think about this a bit more carefully... and I think that because of the explosion of new devices I need to beef up the detection algorithms a bit. I'm now working on integrating Categorizr to give a definitive answer about whether something is mobile, tablet, desktop or TV.

In answer to your particular question however, this is the issue at hand;

Device detection works by looking at something called a User Agent string. It's a piece of information that every browser sends to the web site each time it makes a page request.

The User Agent (usually) uniquely identifies what browser is being used.

It's often examined by the web site to make a decision about whether the browser is a phone or not, or to make some basic assumptions about the capabilities of the device.

Now, that's all fine except that there are so many hundreds of new devices coming out, that some assumptions that we used to make about what constitutes a mobile device, based on the User Agent, are no longer true. e.g. just because a User Agent mentions "Android" does not mean that it's a mobile device. It may be a tablet. Or possibly an internet TV. Or some other device masquerading as an Android device.

So, the checks that Chameleon has been doing for mobile devices may not be 100% accurate, and may say that something is mobile when it's not, or vice versa. The Categorizr project attempts to do a better job of this, and I have decided to include it in Chameleon.

If you know how to programme in PHP then you can use the PHP box in a Chameleon "rule" to do any kind of checks that you like, so there's maximum flexibility there. But I think that good device detection needs to be built in to the main interface.

Could I ask, are you using Joomla 1.5 or 2.5? I'll work on your version first...

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

oops just noticed you already mentioned Joomla 2.5. I'll get to work.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen
Thanks for your very detailed response and I apologise for my delayed reply, yes, I think that at this time I am using Joomla 2.5.6, how are things going with what you have to do and what do I need to do next to get benefit from your work.

I cannot say that I am a php developer type, is this going to be a major problem

I mentioned in my first posting that I generally use Artisteer to create the Joomla template, will this have any impact?

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Hi,

I hope to release a new version of Chameleon tomorrow (for J2.5 only) that includes the new device detection.

Artisteer templates are fine with Chameleon.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Stephen
Thanks for the update, will it be a problem that I do not know PHP, if not, I will purchase tomorrow, UK time.

By the way, is the licence a multi-site option or do I need a licence per website

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Stephen
How will I know when you have released the new version of Chameleon.

mightec
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
16 Posts
User info in posts

Hi there,

Just released the new version: Chameleon 2.27. If you purchase the Chameleon version for J1.6-2.5, that's the one you'll get. Just be sure you don't get the J1.5 version by mistake.

It has a selector box with "mobile" as one of the options - and this option does NOT include any TV or tablet devices. Therefore you don't need to write any PHP code.

Thanks for your original request that led to this new feature!

Re licensing: you can use it on as many sites as you like.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: