Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Metamod Menu issues

Metamod Menu issues

Hi there,

I recently began using MetaMod and I'm really impressed by the power and utility of this module. I'm still in the learning ropes, and getting there slowly. Anyways, I've searched everywhere for someone who had a similar problem like myself, but with no success - so now I'm posting here instead.

I've set up 3 different menus for our site. I'm using MetaMod to display one of them for non-logged in users and the other two for registered/logged in users respectively. They work for all parts of the website, except when entering an article posted on the frontpage or when an author wants to submit/create an article - then only one of the last two (the "admin/author" menu) shows for the logged-in user.
I've tried several different settings & configurations but fail to get it to work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited By: Exodus
03-Dec-09 06:01:36

Exodus
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Metamod Menu issues

Maybe this will help as well:
Joomla 1.5.15
PHP 5.2.0-8
Apache 2.2.3
Database 5.0.32

I could also provide an URL but I'd rather give it in private, considering it's a private site.

Exodus
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

... contacting you directly ...

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hi Exodus,

I think I found it. You had assigned the MetaMod that controls the menu (the one that isn't working properly) to a number of pages on your site, including the main component for the front page.

Now here's the problem: when you click on an article in the front page, Joomla is not adding the "Itemid=..." onto the URL. Therefore Joomla doesn't think you are on the front page any more, and these inner pages, article links from the front page, were not triggering the MetaMod module to appear.

The same thing goes for when you are editing an article -- Joomla forgets that you were on the front page.

Here's where MetaMod can help you though -- what you can do is to include some rules to help to isolate those particular cases. Then assign the MetaMod to "all" pages again.

So here's what I've done on your site:

1 - set that MetaMod to display on ALL pages instead of the previous selection
2 - removed the module number from the "quick module id include" box
3 - made a rule like this:

if ($Itemid == 1
or $Itemid == 50
or $Itemid == 51
or... // put in all the menu ids that are in the main menu that you wanted
or $Itemid == "" // this covers all pages that don't have an Itemid mentioned in the URL
) return 101; // module id to include

It's a bit of a pain having to specify all the individual itemids, and there are better ways to handle this, so just remember if you add more items to that menu you'll need to add the IDs here too.

I trust this does what you want,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3328 Posts
User info in posts

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know (more officially) that your solution works perfectly. Thanks a bunch for taking your time and helping me out with this problem - two thumbs up! big_smile

Exodus
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
3 Posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week: