Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

helpme

Need extra help with your Joomla site? Consider paid Joomla support by the developer of Chameleon and MetaMod.

Can an itemid be returned?

Can an itemid be returned?

Instead of only showing a whole module to a particular user is there a way to return a menu but only show particular itemid's?

ncos
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Can an itemid be returned?

Hi Ncos,

sorry for taking a while to respond to this. Unfortunately, no, MetaMod can't do that. It just deals at the level of modules.

What it can do (which won't help you in this case, but I just wanted to mention it) is to modify the "parameters" of the modules that it is including. i.e. when you set up a module you get a bunch of form elements for setting title, cache time, and whatever parameters need to be set up for that module. With MetaMod, you can dynamically alter these for any module that you are getting the MetaMod to include.

Hypothetically, if the Menu module had parameters that controlled which items were to be returned, then MetaMod could alter these parameters and achieve what you are asking for. But the standard Joomla mod_mainmenu doesn't have this level of control.

Perhaps there are some alternative out there that would be able to do that? Check extensions.joomla.org and see what you can find. If there are any that can take a parameter with a list of itemids to include/exclude, then let me know about it and I'll put together a recipe for it. That would be SO useful!

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Thanks Stephen,

I have managed to overcome my problem another way, I am using metamod in conjunction with community builder and have set a new field called usertype and have 5 levels of user. I have then got a table where permissions can be set to allow that usertype to view particular submenu items, my first thought was to have 1 menu with the different sections as sub menu items but I have go down the route of having 1 menu per section and simply used the permissions to either show or hide that menu to the user depending on their usertype.

Hope that makes sense, keep up the good work!

ncos
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
2 Posts

Make sense, keeps it simple, sounds like a good plan!

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory: Chameleon | MetaMod

metamodguy
useravatar
3329 Posts
User info in posts

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: