How do I upgrade MetaMod when upgrading Joomla 1.0 to 1.5?
- Date added:
- Monday, 16 February 2009
- Last revised:
- Tuesday, 16 March 2010
If you are upgrading your Joomla installation from Joomla 1.0 to Joomla 1.5 I would advise the following:
- Back up your entire web site first
- Don’t assume that your MetaMods will survive the transition! The MetaMod system in Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5 is quite different, and you need to set up everything again from scratch.
- Use the “Site Modules” menu in Joomla 1.0 to identify all your MetaMods.
- Take a note of all the settings for each MetaMod, including the “PHP” block. Save these in a text editor so you can copy and paste them into your Joomla 1.5 installation.
- Upgrade your site to Joomla 1.5.
- Install the latest version of MetaMod 2.0.
- Recreate your MetaMods from your saved information.
Watch out for the following differences between Joomla 1.0. and 1.5:
- In the PHP rules, the “user” variable is named “$my” in MetaMod 1.0, and “$user” in MetaMod 1.5.
- In the PHP rules, the “database” variable is named “$database” in MetaMod 1.0, and “$db” in MetaMod 1.5.
- In the PHP rules, the “$id” variable when viewing articles is a simple integer in Joomla 1.0, and a string in Joomla 1.5. e.g. from “5” to “5:Installing Joomla”. You can extract the integer from the front of the string by taking (int)$id
- There are likely to be other differences in URL parameter structure between the two versions, depending on changes in the other components. Test all your MetaMod rules carefully in the new system.