Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

Show mod on frontpage only and not on any virtuemart pages

Show mod on frontpage only and not on any virtuemart pages

I just installed this metamod today.  Before posting my topic tonight I did go through a bunch of posts to see if I could find my solution. I did not. Here is the info. I have Joomla 1.5 and running Virtuemart 1.1.8. I have a module installed on the website and told that module to only appear on the front page. Well that works perfectly on all pages except the page that are part of Virtuemart. What is strange is that depending on what links I click on the module from the front page won't appear in virtuemart. Here is my scenario, if you go to the site and hit just the front page, then click on any menu or link that is not a link to the cart but just a link to say an article, then click on a Virtuemart link, the module from the front page will not appear on the Virtuemart page. But if I go to the front page and then click right on a Virtuemart link the front page module will appear on that Virtue mart page. I can do this over and over again. I have no clue how to fix it. I have been doing searches here on Joomla.org and Virtuemart site and cannot find a solution yet. I even went to the website of the vendor that makes the module, which is called Sliding Captions and that developer site has only a few posts and never talks about this issue.

The site is http://www.alltechnologynow.com/winepine

I followed the posting below but still cannot get this to work.

http://www.metamodpro.com/forums/topic?id=161&p=2

Any help would be appreciated.  I could also create an id for you metamodguy if you want to take a look in the backend.

Edited By: macmizer
21-May-11 06:54:37

macmizer
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
1 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Show mod on frontpage only and not on any virtuemart pages

Hi Macmizer,

I think I can see what's going on. It's VirtueMart Itemid hell.

From the front page, when I click on the menu on the left named "wine crates" I go to this URL:

index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

If I go to the Custom Work page and click on the same link (wine crates) I get this URL:

index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=221

See the difference? The Itemid used is the same one used on the *calling* page.

The Itemid should really reflect the *target* page, but both VirtueMart and a number of 3rd party modules tend to get this wrong.

This matters because the standard Joomla module and template assignment systems rely on the Itemid to calculate which menu item you are on, so they can apply the right modules and/or template to it.

Never fear - with MetaMod you can get around this.

I think what's happening in your case is that you have assigned the MetaMod to a particular menu item, e.g. the front page of your site. However, the way the module assignment works in Joomla is that you have simply associated the module (the MetaMod) to a particular Itemid. As we have already seen, the Itemid is all screwed up.

To fix this, assign the MetaMod to ALL pages instead of to particular pages. Then just use the PHP code part of MetaMod to detect when the target module should be displayed or not.

If you were following the instructions in that other post, then hopefully your PHP is already detecting the VM front page, so it might just start to work.

Please write back if you're still having trouble with this.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory

metamodguy
useravatar
2847 Posts
User info in posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Board Info

Board Stats:

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Total Posts Today:
User Info: