Welcome to the MetaMod and Chameleon Support Forums.

Before posting, please check out the FAQs.

Problem with mod Dinabar

Problem with mod Dinabar

Hello,

I m testing out this great module, mostly for geo targeting reasons. Some of my ads use dinabar module (as they apparently closed their site since I downloaded it you can see what it does here http://www.pokercast.tv/poker-videos-streaming the scrolling horizontal iframe)

I have successfully used Metamod geoip for regular module, except with the common css problem that is resolved with the pro version , witch I would love to buy if my dinabar was working as well

found a better description of this module : http://www.bestofjoomla.com/component/option,com_bestofresources/task,detail/id,1270/Itemid,54/

Edited By: undercash
19-Jan-10 06:03:32

undercash
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
11 Posts
Administrator has disabled public posting

Re: Problem with mod Dinabar

Hi undercash,

is there a particular problem with Dinabar and MetaMod that you are trying to solve? Or are you just saying that because of CSS problems, Dinabar only works with MetaMod Pro?

It's a shame that Dinabar is no longer available. If it's under GPL, is there any chance you could share it on a server somewhere? I'd be interested in that for other projects...

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Brandon
MetaMod / Chameleon developer
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory

metamodguy
useravatar
2870 Posts
User info in posts

hello,

yes it is a free extension, download it http://www.bankrollbuilder.org/mod_dinabar.zip here

there seems to be a problem indeed. As I said, it works fine for regular modules but not at all with a dinabar module. Due to its nature, ads that use dinabar module are a lot more efficient than regular ones. Dinabar is also a metamod in a way, maybe a reason why it s not working. well anyway you can test it now

thanks for the support

undercash
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
11 Posts

Is the problem when you put Dinabar inside a MetaMod, or when you put a MetaMod inside the Dinabar?

Stephen Brandon
If you use MetaMod or Chameleon, please post a rating and a review at the Joomla! Extensions Directory

metamodguy
useravatar
2870 Posts
User info in posts

I put the dinabar module ID in the quick module list of the metamod module but I don't see anything

Meanwhile, I bought the pro version but after a successful test on a test site (still.. a live server vps), it doesn't works at all on my live site (dedicated), whatever the module I put in metamod, I just get a blank page just like it would do if I had not enough memory available though I setup 256mb in php5 config witch I believe should be really enough to run any script. any hint about that?

Thanks

undercash
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
11 Posts

I just tried out both ways: a MetaMod on the page controlling/including a Dinabar, and a Dinabar on the page, including a module position that included a MetaMod that included another module...

It worked both ways.

However, Dinabar is VERY dependent on your template CSS. If you're using a MetaMod to control the Dinabar, and if the Dinabar shows up in the wrong place, when *without* the MetaMod controlling it you see it in the *right* place, then this is because of the extra HTML that MetaMod puts around the included modules.

There are 2 ways to approach this:
1 - try using a CSS class suffix on the MetaMod. This *may* help
2 - use MetaMod Pro. This completely removes the extra HTML surrounding the module, therefore this takes away any CSS issues that are occurring.

With regard to the white screen of death above... one thing to check is that you don't have MetaMod including its own module ID. That makes a circular "include" and eats up memory until it's full - then white screen of death.

Another possibility is that the MetaMod is including the Dynabar which is including the module position that the MetaMod is in... another circular problem.

By the way I spent a few hours doing some upgrades to Dinabar so that it can do "fixed" page positioning as well as the "floating" one that it does at the moment. Plus removed some redundant code, tidied everything up, made some more sensible defaults etc. It's now available on this site as "Dynabar" under terms of the GPL license. See http://www.metamodpro.com/software/dynabar for downloads.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
2870 Posts
User info in posts

Even if I have "Auto-enable included modules =none" selected and no module in the "Quick module position or id include" I get this blank page.
In case, I disabled web compression plugin(gzping and so on) and joomla standart gzip, no difference

thanks for the job on dinabar, surely I ll test your version wink

undercash
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
11 Posts

Just for the record: we tracked down undercash's problem to something to do with the GeoIP functionality. When we turned off the GeoIP functions in MetaMod, the blank page went away and we got the proper page back again. We found another way to get hold of GeoIP information and still used it successfully in MetaMod.

If anyone else sees this problem with GeoIP, please let me know. I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Stephen Brandon

metamodguy
useravatar
2870 Posts
User info in posts

yes, awesome support

I think my server is somehow responsible for the problem since it worked out of the box on my very standart centos5 cpanel vps
Since I get geoip module installed with apache, metamodguy did write some custom php rules that does the job really well for me, thanks again.

undercash
Beginner Modder
ranks
useravatar
11 Posts

hello again

about the geoip , you gave me that code, via msn I think

$code = $_SERVER['GEOIP_COUNTRY_CODE'];

//echo "You are in country: $code";

if ($code == 'US') return 230;